Aquaman (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I get what you’re saying. What do you think of Raimi’s approach to the subject? Raimi from the start of millennium of course. In my opinion, those two Spider-Man movies hold their ground even in 2018, a testament to the power of a well oiled machine, despite dated VFX those movies, much like Jurrasic Park or Batman 1989, even Donner’s Superman, just work. We also got Dafoe, Satipo, J.K.Simmons, plenty of veterans to cover the ground.

As for Aquaman, I fear Wan will be almost too playful, much like FF7 (which I disliked). He already is with the color palette (not a giant misstep but he went too far in couple of shots and in comic books all is forgiven because the entire run is carefully color coded and vibrant for a reason). I believe much of what you just said comes from a fact that directors aren’t always doing their vision of the story, it’s an amalgam of what they want, what the studio wants and finally what the fans want. Wan is a b.o.’s golden chicken but he still doesn’t have the creative freedom similar to Nolan.

That is why I’m angry when Disney fired James Gunn, because directors with specific vision are not a common occurence in Hollywood. One less in a cinematic world that inspired millions (myself included) is a big loss for all of us.

I think that Raimi, Singer and Nolan were the ones who fully understood the way Donner did it and gave it their own spin. However, I think Raimi's first two Spider-Man films are a lot simpler in terms of story and character development than Singer's first two X-Men films and Nolan's Batman Trilogy. In fact, I think Nolan is the only one to fully explore the characters, specifically Bruce Wayne. He unfolded him and let us explore his soul, so to speak. You really got to understand what motivates him and how he reacts to the world around him (and what happens when he exists, i.e. Joker and other huge villains). Not to forget that he made us believe this could actually happen and casting names like Oldman, Freeman, Caine, Wilkinson and so forth in supporting roles. Hell, even Hauer in a relatively small part.

Wan seems to go all out with the spectacle, which is more than fitting with a character like Aquaman and the CBMs of today. I agree that it could easily be mistaken for an MCU film. I hope Wan succeeds in not only breathing life in a character like Aquaman, but also make us connect to him, that the film has a strong emotional arc. Like Jenkins succeeded in with Wonder Woman. I hope this film has a lot of heart, too.

Ace

Didn't really raise my excitement for this movie, but it didn't take any of it away either.

This is just so meh. Seriously, what was the purpose of this long ass video? It did nothing for me at all.

JFC,that was long.

I felt nothing watching that. 🕷

Forum Pro
Law
Getting serious Green Lantern vibes from that. CGI looks like absolute trash and watching whatever her name is act is like watching a wooden stick.

But that tracking shot going through the rooftops....