Neil Blomkamp's Alien Sequel

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
SilverHeart wrote:It can't be any worse than AvP.
That's like saying it can't be worse than syphilis.

BlairCo wrote:I'm surrounded by pessimistic bastards. Even emos are going "Jeeze, chillax!"

Peace wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:
Peace wrote:This is not a good thing.
:roll:
Out of the Alien sequels only one is worth a damn. History alone let's us know this will suck.
There are reasons for the failings of 3 and Resurrection, and those can be avoided. They are definitely well aware of what happened during the production of those 2 films. The fact that this is ignoring the last 2 and taking place right after Aliens is a good sign already. And anyways this announcement has been met with much praise and most people are pretty optimistic about it, and I've really only heard a few negative voices on NF :lol:

It's not guaranteed to be great but as long as Blomkamp doesn't write the script himself (and Fox will definitely get another writer after Chappie) than there is reason to be optimistic. Unless you are somebody who just doesn't like Neil Blomkamp to begin with, than I don't know who to tell you.

You can only hate on Blomkamp as a writer. He is a wizard in building universes. He could just be the new James Cameron, and that's not really hyperbolic since Aliens was Cameron's third film. Yes, Cameron wrote that film, but Blomkamp just needs a co-writer with some integrity and an impressive filmography, instead of his wife. He's not terrible at writing, he just needs to focus on the story rather than the spectacle he's trying to achieve.

Truthfully I don't know what to think of him as a writer after seeing Chappie. The script was such a mess. It was almost George Lucas level, without the horrible romantic dialogue (thank god).

he has good ideas

like, the conceptual bases of D9 and even Elysium are great, they just needed better execution

Cilogy wrote:he has good ideas

like, the conceptual bases of D9 and even Elysium are great, they just needed better execution
Shut. The. Front door, Cilogy, you are so right!

We will see

Forgive me if I'm wary of another film in this franchise.

Peace wrote:We will see

Forgive me if I'm wary of another film in this franchise.
This above all. On average, it is not a very good series. There's only one installment that I respond to, I can't deny the popularity of the second, but beyond that it's a bloody mess that has absolutely not benefited from an absence of strong stewardship.

I'm not blaming anybody for being weary, but making absolutions that "this is not good" or "this is gonna suck" aren't necessary. It's not unheard of for Franchises to turn themselves around. A few years ago the X Men franchise was in the same position as the Alien Franchise with only the first 2 being any good and then it was all terrible... but then it all changed. That doesn't guarantee that the same will happen here, sure there is a chance this could turn out another failure and then it will all be for nothing. But it's also very possible that it could be the first good one since Aliens and finally redeem the franchise a little and they seem pretty determined to do that. They've got a good Director, and for those weary of Blomkamp there is no way he is going to be the only writer here. I doubt very much Fox is going to let just him (or his Wife) write the script for such a beloved franchise. Personally if I had my way they would just finally do Wards original "Wooden Planet" concept for A3... that be a dream come true.

There is no turning back now, this is happening. Might as well hope for the best. Nothing is ever going to top the original Alien, but we could have a very good action film in the vien of Aliens that redeems this franchise a little. And if it does turn out to be a mistake the first 2 will still be classics and nothing will change that.