Your favorite movie about Vietnam?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Deer Hunter (1978) - Michael Cimino

Apocalypse Now (1979) - Francis Ford Coppola

Platoon (1986) - Oliver Stone

Full Metal Jacket (1987) - Stanley Kubrick

In your opinion, the best movie about Vietnam (and/or your favorite) is...?
*You can rank them if you like

Apocalypse Now and then everything else,with Platoon thrown in the bin or stamped on......repeatedly.

Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Fullmetal Jacket...they're all great for different reasons.

Yeah, Apocalypse Now is by far the superior Vietnam movie. As Coppola himself said, "My film is not about Vietnam, it is Vietnam". Platoon is pretty terrific too and I'd suggest to also watch the other two Oliver Stone Vietnam movies, Born on the Fourth of July and Heaven & Earth. Full Metal Jacket is, of course, amazing too. It's certainly very intriguing to see Vietnam war through Kubrick's lens. Here's my top 5:
1. Apocalypse Now
2. Platoon
3. Full Metal Jacket
4. Good Morning Vietnam
5. Born on the Fourth of July

A P O C A L Y P S E N O W

Favorite

1. The Deer Hunter (1978) .... (9.2/10)
2. Full Metal Jacket (1987) ..... (8.9/10)
3. Apocalypse Now (1979) .... (8.8/10)
4. Rescue Dawn (2006) .... (8.5/10)
5. Platoon (1986) .... (8.5/10)
6. Born on the Fourth of July (1989) .... (7.2/10)

£
Last edited by Master Virgo on January 30th, 2015, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IMO Apocalypse Now isn't just the greatest Vietnam film, it's the greatest film on any 20 - 21st century war. It gets right to the heart of war in a way no other film does IMO.

Interesting to hear all of you... the reason I initially put those four on the table is because of this anecdote from my highschool.

It's about my history teacher, who was considered to be our own Severus Snape (he even looks like Alan Rickman) and always maintained pretty high standards, one day he asked the class, out of nowhere: 'Best movie about Vietnam?'

I raised my hand, all assured, said Apocalypse Now... he says no. My friend raised a hand, said I got it! Platoon, must be, it's Stone! Again, he says no, cold as always.

Finally, I was sure this time, I must've got it - Full Metal Jacket!

Again he says no! I couldn't believe the guy. What's even left? That Robin Williams radio flick (mind you: great movie)?

My history teacher says, like it's total and only truth in the world - Deer Hunter, better watch it kiddos - the bell rang - he leaves the premise, just like that.

Even after watching that movie at least three times until this day I still don't believe him; and I really dig the wedding... and the roulette.

I have to confess, I've never really thought Apocalypse Now was a good film. I understand what it's trying to be, an adaptation of "Heart of Darkness" set in Vietnam, but I always thought it was kind of.... silly, at least when they reach Brando's character. I've watched the documentary on the film and during those scenes Brando just seems to be improvising. His monologues sound heavy and foreboding, but actually don't mean much. "Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies!"

The whole production was a mess, and I felt the movie was also a mess, that had potential to be really profound thematically, but it missed the mark.

My favorite is Full Metal Jacket. Probably because I'm a cynic, like Private Joker. I also love The Deer Hunter, which is just beautiful, and Stones Platoon.

I think my favorites are Platoon and Full Metal Jacket... but it'd be nice to watch them all and figure out how I stand some years after. Platoon seems like the honest, real one... while Full Metal Jacket is an excellent commentary on every war ever, not just Vietnam.