The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Everybody knows my undying affection for Mara, and I love her Lisbeth to pieces. However, we don't hold one performance of Macbeth to the standard of another. We adjust to a new interpretation of Batman every couple of years. Why can't we do the same for the character of Lisbeth Salander?

Between this and First Man, 2018 is going to be the year of Claire Foy.

BlairCo wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 7:24 pm
However, we don't hold one performance of Macbeth to the standard of another.
that is very literally what they do

-Vader

i really like Foy don't like the trailers

I never see anybody compare Fassbender's performance to Jon Finch.

Sexy avatar Blair. You know what, if nothing, I’m glad Mara has so many supporters here these days, I remember being laughed at back in the days for supporting Rooney. So I’ll wait and see and, hopefully, enjoy this. Fede is a good guy, he deserves another breakthrough. Will this be it? Eh, who knows right now.

m4st4 wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 11:08 am
The thing is, the backlash is real on the net. As expected. But then again Noomi was supposedly untouchable back in the days.
This is true, many people had their knives out for this project due to the bitterness of Fincher and Mara not returning. I was NOT one of those people, early in this thread I was supportive and open minded but this portrayal of Lisbeth just seems so bland. It's not really even a Mara vs. Foy thing more so a Fincher (with much bigger budget) vs. Alvarez thing. Alvarez has talent but he is no master. But still... more could have been done here to make Lisbeth more convincing, they make her almost ordinary looking in comparison to Mara. This is also coming from someone who is not utterly passionate about Fincher's film or Mara, I like it quite a bit of course but it is not top tier Fincher for me at all.

Allstar wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 11:34 pm
m4st4 wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 11:08 am
The thing is, the backlash is real on the net. As expected. But then again Noomi was supposedly untouchable back in the days.
This is true, many people had their knives out for this project due to the bitterness of Fincher and Mara not returning. I was NOT one of those people, early in this thread I was supportive and open minded but this portrayal of Lisbeth just seems so bland. It's not really even a Mara vs. Foy thing more so a Fincher (with much bigger budget) vs. Alvarez thing. Alvarez has talent but he is no master. But still... more could have been done here to make Lisbeth more convincing, they make her almost ordinary looking in comparison to Mara. This is also coming from someone who is not utterly passionate about Fincher's film or Mara, I like it quite a bit of course but it is not top tier Fincher for me at all.
I remember posting a detailed opinion on why I believe Mara and Fincher created a multilayered but also subtle character... Mr.Talli quoted saying ‘this is what delusional looks like’, many others followed.

Now, she’s a sacred performance. Well, finally!

As for Foy, I don’t see her as light, just different. Visually though? I actually think she looks too similar to Mara. Remember that time when Did Antwoord was rumored? Yeah, I wanted them to go that far with the visual approach for Salander.

But I guess this is now just her standard: short hair, irokese, warpaint, black leather etc.

Agree with you that this is more Fincher vs. Alvarez thing, but that battle was lost Day zero. Yesterday I watched that Karen O. Immigrant song teaser and the energy is just magnetic there. Going back to performances here, Mikael, Salander and her sis are the important trio and all three are capable actors.

One final point, going by the quality of the fourth book Alvarez can only go up for me... as in raise it to max. 4/5 and call it a day. Cause the book itself was not Lagercrantz best; the fifth was much better and he’s possibly raising the bar with the one he’s writing now.

BlairCo wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 7:34 pm
I never see anybody compare Fassbender's performance to Jon Finch.
nobody saw fassbender's performance

antovolk wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 7:11 pm
anarchy wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 6:54 pm
I don't understand. Why fire/part ways with Fincher when you're just going to make a discount Fincher movie?
Because of the discount. Sony spent too much on the scripts for the Fincher sequels to the point of not even being able to afford him/Mara/Craig. So Fincher fucked off to TV...

It's heartbreaking for Rooney for sure as we know from her interviews and even the Sony leaks how much she wanted to continue. Hell, I'd have been happy with her and then Craig written out and have the rest of the cast and Alvarez in. But no, they had to reboot, and instead of following the "we tried to make it our own, it's lazy to just use Fincher" card that Fede played when this project was announced, they are selling it as a direct Fincher sequel as if there was no recast. Smh
I think what's interesting is not making books 2 and 3. Sony knows books 2 and 3 are more popular yet they went ahead with book 4. With the current situation, books 2 and 3 can very well be made with the Fincher cast and crew (and we can just pretend this movie doesn't exist), but that is just my wishful thinking.

Think like Sony for a second. Salander is a no-show in the 2nd book for 2/3 and when she appears in the third one she’s on trial. Sony wanted to put her upfront since Fincher was gone with his trilogy plan.

And it shows, find me Mikael shots here, barely any.