Beauty and the Beast (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
If you identify with the beast in the animated movie you probably should see a therapist

Or a psychologist

Or turn yourself in to the police

Not fucking this up was nothing short of accomplishment. The first act had me worried that Condon might have not been able to pull this off after all but the second act is a delight and the third act is solid enough. This remake might be missing plenty of the intticacies in the original, rarely replacing them with anything equally valuable, but it does improve upon some of the narrative related elements of that film. Most notably the development of the relationship between Belle and Beast.

This is not as good as Cinderella but it almost edges out The Jungle Book for me.£

This was a delight yo. This gives me hope for future Disney live actions.

Saw this in IMAX 2D at the TCL Chinese Theater for the first time.
Had always wanted to see a movie in it, so I went with my girl during our LA trip.
It was about to start, so I quickly smoked a j around the corner on the Walk of Fame, then went in with conditioned expectations (for the movie).

Movie ended up being alright. Quite unremarkable and just average. Was more surprised by how nice the seats were and how far they reclined than anything actually in the movie. Yet... I didn't mind it. *shrug*

Also, I was curious about the "controversial" gay subplot with Lefou, but after seeing it, I honestly don't understand what the fuss was about. Malaysian government even retracted their ban... Presumably after having actually seen the final product.

7212017 wrote:
Also, I was curious about the "controversial" gay subplot with Lefou, but after seeing it, I honestly don't understand what the fuss was about. Malaysian government even retracted their ban... Presumably after having actually seen the final product.
Same. It was hardly controversial, unless I had watched some alternate version :think:
If campy is now synonymous with being gay then there is a bigger problem yo.

He didn't even come off as a gay character honestly. There was the line where Gaston asks why he does not have a lady in his life, telling him that he's clingy even though he can't see how. He felt to me like he was at the very least bisexual but has been unlucky with the ladies, but I was pleased that they decided to not force LeFou's sexuality down our throats and treated it has enhancing the character.

It was the same nonsense Hollywood has done for years, which is using LGBTQ characters as comic relief. When they finally decide to make the lead in any of these films, a gay character, then I'll be intrigued.£

Master Virgo wrote:It was the same nonsense Hollywood has done for years, which is using LGBTQ characters as comic relief. When they finally decide to make the lead in any of these films, a gay character, then I'll be intrigued.£
Just one of the reasons why this version annoyed me initially.

-What, that was it?! I'm outta here.

Still have to see this lol

Just saw it. It is solely because so many things of the original worked so well there or that were just so good they couldn't possibly cock it up. For the most part they did. From the overly fake looking sets (especially the village) to the iffy CG and absolutely terrible credits sequence. This didn't work for me. There were some good things here and there, some of the songs, the way it flows when we follow Belle and the Beast in the castle when they fell in love. Again, it's mostly just copy and paste from the original. The film doesn't even come close to the original film, at all.
And what was the gay moment that got this banned in Russia? I didn't notice it.

I guess from all the live-actionified films of Disney's classics Cinderella is the best so far? Not that that was anything great either, but it shows that Branagh is the much better director.