Ready Player One (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Skyab23 wrote:
April 4th, 2018, 6:05 pm
Mark Kermode on Ready Player One:
"I loved it, I thought it was really really good."
Yup.
Wait, I thought it was WB's job to market the film using quotes without much context.

Also, this has probably been mentioned before, but
how the fuck has no one thought to drive backwards? It took three years???

I thought this was a fun ride. I had some issues but I thoroughly enjoyed it. And much of my disappointment is trivial due to preconceived notions after having read the book.

Some of the harsh criticism is expected when dealing with source material held so dear to fans. I don't mean the book but the beloved material referenced throughout the film.
I feel like I'm the only one who was disappointed with Mechagodzilla. I don't know what that was but that was not Mechagodzilla. Having read the book I played that final battle in my head a hundred times. The film was never gonna live up to it. Though having the Gundam descend from the Serenity ship did put a smile on my face.

And the Shining sequence?!?!? Goosebumps, chills, I loved it! I was hoping for Blade Runner as in the book. But I'm glad they switched it up which acted as a nice surprise for me. Plus Blade Runner is even more personal a movie for me and it's more possible they really could have turned me off if it wasn't right.
Numbers wrote:
April 4th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Also, this has probably been mentioned before, but
how the fuck has no one thought to drive backwards? It took three years???
Totally agree. A world full of gamers, and nobody tries that in 3 years?! As a gamer I would have did that just for kicks after 24 hours.

So I really didn't like this. 6/10 methinks. And that's being fucking GENEROUS.

Can't type much right now but I saw Ready Player One. As someone who didn't enjoy the book and thought the trailers were bad, I actually enjoyed it. Fun action, great dystopian dark humour (and regular humour), and while there are some groaner moments it has that Spielberg heart. While the references are everywhere, there are two sequences I won't spoil that aren't just references or homages, but genuine love letters that made for the highlights of the film. Not a perfect film and certainly not high art, but a solid flick.

Any idea how much this movie would need to make to profit? Currently it sits at $238 million after 1 week.

Approximately 550-600 M will be breaking even territory. It can still make money if it ends up around 500 M. But that will depend on its post theatrical release life.

It's way too early to make any prediction, but for now it looks like 130-160 M domestically, 350-400 overseas (150-180 M from China) type of deal. We'll have a much better idea of where it's headed by next week.£

It cost over $500 million including advertising costs? That's insanely high.

Skyab23 wrote:
April 6th, 2018, 11:49 am
No it didn't. But studios only get 55% or so of the domestic gross, and even less in some other markets. That's why Justice League was a financial failure despite grossing more than $600m worldwide, it needed to make at least $900m I think.

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
April 5th, 2018, 1:36 am
So I really didn't like this. 6/10 methinks. And that's being fucking GENEROUS.
6.5 for me. 0.5 because I might be in love with Olivia Cooke since Bates Motel and I want more of her on the big screen. She’s genuine.

Dobson wrote:
April 6th, 2018, 11:58 am
Skyab23 wrote:
April 6th, 2018, 11:49 am
No it didn't. But studios only get 55% or so of the domestic gross, and even less in some other markets. That's why Justice League was a financial failure despite grossing more than $600m worldwide, it needed to make at least $900m I think.
Yeah, I presume the full budget was somewhere around 300m for RP1. For instance Interstellar with a PB of 165m and a gross of 680m, only ended up making 50m in profit during its theatrical run according to the reports or The Last Jedi with a budget of 200m and a gross of 1.35bn, only made 400m in profit.£