Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 7:30 pm
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Easy to forget how good that work is. Wish he'd done all three.
that would've been amazing also when 4K remasters

This video is everything right now. Making rounds round the net as well.

After The Mandalorian trailer and seeing how good the production value looked with my own eyes, I could not be more excited for all 3 of these announced series. They all scratch a major itch for things I want to see personally. Important to remember the Cassian series got a writer on The Americans as show runner. I wonder who will show run Obi-Wan with the scripts apparently already written.

George Lucas Was Disappointed by ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’, Says Bob Iger

In his new memoir, The Ride of a Lifetime: Lessons Learned from 15 Years as CEO of the Walt Disney Company, Bob Iger says that Lucas “didn’t hide his disappointment” over The Force Awakens saying there was “nothing new” about Abrams’ sequel.

“In each of the films in the original trilogy, it was important to [Lucas] to present new worlds, new stories, new characters, and new technologies. In this one, he said, ‘There weren’t enough visual or technical leaps forward,'” Iger said via CNet.

Iger counters, “”He wasn’t wrong, but he also wasn’t appreciating the pressure we were under to give ardent fans a film that felt quintessentially Star Wars…We’d intentionally created a world that was visually and tonally connected to the earlier films, to not stray too far from what people loved and expected, and George was criticizing us for the very thing we were trying to do.”

I mean....we've known that for a few years.

Master Virgo wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 8:08 pm
George Lucas Was Disappointed by ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’, Says Bob Iger

In his new memoir, The Ride of a Lifetime: Lessons Learned from 15 Years as CEO of the Walt Disney Company, Bob Iger says that Lucas “didn’t hide his disappointment” over The Force Awakens saying there was “nothing new” about Abrams’ sequel.

“In each of the films in the original trilogy, it was important to [Lucas] to present new worlds, new stories, new characters, and new technologies. In this one, he said, ‘There weren’t enough visual or technical leaps forward,'” Iger said via CNet.

Iger counters, “”He wasn’t wrong, but he also wasn’t appreciating the pressure we were under to give ardent fans a film that felt quintessentially Star Wars…We’d intentionally created a world that was visually and tonally connected to the earlier films, to not stray too far from what people loved and expected, and George was criticizing us for the very thing we were trying to do.”
Very sad tbh.

My feelings on Disney's movies notwithstanding, the amount of bad faith around Lucas' lack of involvement in the ST is nothing but whiny posturing.

When TFA was released, every comment was "at least Lucas isn't involved, thank god, the prequels sucked." Now this subsection of the fanbase has deified the prequels, resent the ST, and wish Lucas' treatment was executed by Disney. This is bullshit of course, we all know Lucas focusing on the "microbial world" would've been everything "fans" would've hated even more. Lucas himself must realize that too, but he's never been one for self awareness. I personally would've loved Lucas' participation in the ST on a more collaborative level.

An annoyingly large subset of people are going to hate Star Wars no matter what LFL do. As the saying goes, nobody hates Star Wars as much as Star Wars fans.

-Vader

I’ve always liked the prequels and obviously like Disney movies to varying degrees. That said I still think it’s kind of sad how Disney and co. treated Lucas. They misled him and weren’t upfront with him throughout the process.

The irony is that the fans who rejoice on the fact that Lucas is dissatisfied, are also the ones who wanted the new movies to keep replicating OT. The change is what's bothering them. They wanted the same old stuff to be recycled over and over.

For reference, Lucas thinks ESB is the worst one (prior to TFA).

If he wanted to make the sequels, then he should have made the sequels.