Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Red Letter Media rather pointedly didn't go after Jar Jar as far as I can recall.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 5:57 pm
Red Letter Media rather pointedly didn't go after Jar Jar as far as I can recall.
he's kind of a running gag for how bad things are

i feel truly horrible for Ahmed Best and Jake Lloyd and i feel like people who sign on for SW don't truly know what kind of fire they're playing with is

daisy ridley developed a severe anxiety disorder as a result of the disney machine for example

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 6:24 pm
daisy ridley developed a severe anxiety disorder as a result of the disney machine for example

-Vader
The Disney machine or the rabid manchildren that throw a hissy fit every time a Star Wars movie comes out and they feel the need to harass the people who worked on the movie online about each and every tiny detail they have a problem with?

Batfan175 wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 6:35 pm
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
The Disney machine or the rabid manchildren that throw a hissy fit every time a Star Wars movie comes out and they feel the need to harass the people who worked on the movie online about each and every tiny detail they have a problem with?
i feel like calling what they’re doing a “hissy fit” or harassment is a severe underestimation of what they actually do

Ruth wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 6:44 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 6:35 pm
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
i feel like calling what they’re doing a “hissy fit” or harassment is a severe underestimation of what they actually do
You are right, in the future I shall choose harsher and more accurate language to describe the awfulness of these people.

Vader182 wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:

i feel truly horrible for Ahmed Best and Jake Lloyd and i feel like people who sign on for SW don't truly know what kind of fire they're playing with is

-Vader
I think it's something that LFL would (should) be more cognisant of post TPM. With that, there was no precedent. What happened to Hayden and now KMT et cetera should never have happened, or shouldn't have been a surprise to them.

Vader182 wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:

-Vader
Where did you get the info about Ridley? That’s horrible.🕷️

The Star Wars fan base is among the most toxic I've ever seen in any mainstream pop culture field. Like, the Hobbit films really sucked compared to the LOTR trilogy, but I don't remember anyone having this sort of toxic reaction to that, literally abusing actors and the filmmakers who took part in them.

I honestly think that it's a true case of mass hysteria and mass psychosis. People say that SW is a huge part of their childhood and their lives and etc., justifying their horrible attitude when it comes to reacting to these films, but it's not nice, it's not cute what they're doing, at this point it's just plain wrong.

I'm really not sure why SW is this one franchise where people just can't accept if the slightest thing turns out to be disappointing or something that they weren't expecting. There are other toxic fan bases I'm sure, but this level of madness is something I rarely see anywhere else. I usually have a moderate opinion when it comes to SW, because I've never been a fan - but communicating even those moderate views (for example, I really don't have a problem with the new films, I actually quite like them) can be difficult, because you always end up bashed by "real SW fans".

I feel really sorry for anyone who's involved in the new trilogy, and anyone who has been involved in the prequel trilogy, because it's a burden you just can't prepare for. It's an absurd, dystopian burden. At the same time, I'm looking forward to Episode IX, I'm sure it will be entertaining. But I'm sure that the madness surrounding the reactions to these films will grow even bigger and bigger when that comes out. It's horrifying.

Star Wars is unique because it's original to cinema, not an adaptation where people have already formed their ideas reading, typically in isolation. The canon is the movies, and that's a very different experience to nearly all other major franchises.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 8:05 am
Star Wars is unique because it's original to cinema, not an adaptation where people have already formed their ideas reading, typically in isolation. The canon is the movies, and that's a very different experience to nearly all other major franchises.
Doesn't change anything and I'm sure you'd agree that those people are still truly and utterly deplorable even if it were as special as everyone is constantly telling each other as if they had a need to convince each other of that idea. I watched Star Wars as a teenager. Wasn't that special to me growing up, just a bunch of fun films and I never cared what was and was not canon. The people who hailed it as some kind of dawn of a new cinematic age were a) wrong because t'was Jaws invented the blockbuster and b) they did us all a huge disservice by convincing lonely nerds for decades that they were the gatekeepers of something unique and special and now look at the result: those bullies feel like they must defend their holy relic against any form of deviation from what they consider to be its true meaning. These are just movies, the lives of the people who made these films matter more.