Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
oh lolll

I mean the Galactic Republic was called the Old Republic in ANH so that's what it refers to originally.

Oku
The Rise of Skywalker
The Last Jedi

A New Hope
Rogue One

The Force Awakens
Solo
The Mandalorian

Ace
Taika Waititi Courted for Star Wars Movie
Taika Waititi, the filmmaker behind the Oscar-nominated Jojo Rabbit and Thor: Ragnarok, has been approached to develop a Star Wars movie, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

It is unclear where things stand in those talks. It is also unclear whether the project is separate from the one being developed by Kevin Feige, with whom he closely worked on Ragnarok, or a separate Star Wars project.

The move comes as two Star Wars streams arc in different directions. Waititi is coming off great acclaim from the fan community for directing the final episode of season 1 of The Mandalorian, the live-action Star Wars series on Disney+ that became must-watch TV in part thanks to Baby Yoda. He also voiced the popular droid character, IG-11. Meanwhile, his Jojo, which he wrote and directed, earlier this week earned six Oscar nominations, including best picture.

Working on Mandalorian put Waititi in the same sphere as Jon Favreau, the series’ creator, writer and executive producer and who is now emerged as a key architect of the Star Wars universe moving forward. Favreau is also a key player in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, overseen by Feige.

With the last several theatrical outings, spinoffs included, seemingly dividing audiences, Disney and Lucasfilm were shifting priorities to Disney+. Little is known about theatrical plans other than what is not being developed. Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss exited their planned trilogy in October. And Rian Johnson, who directed The Last Jedi and was developing his own trilogy, is now focusing on a sequel to his Oscar-nominated surprise hit, Knives Out, which is being eyed as his next movie. The status of his Star Wars project is unknown.

Of course, even if Waititi were to accept the challenge of taking on the Jedi, the Sith, and assorted scum and villainy, there is also the question of timing. The filmmaker has emerged as one of the most sought-after in town with his ability to oscillate tones, scope and budgets. He is in post on his small-budget dramedy, Next Goal Wins, for Fox Searchlight; no release date has been set. Then he moves to helm Marvel tentpole Thor: Love and Thunder, which is eying a late summer start of production. That movie has a Nov. 5, 2021 release date.

Waititi remains involved with Akira, Warner Bros.' adaptation of the classic anime, and is to tackle that after Thor. Any potential Star Wars undertaking could impact those plans.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/ ... ie-1269996

My absolutely correct shortlist to do STAR WARS:

Brad Bird
Jennifer Lee
Alfonso Cuarón
Damien Chazelle
Coralie Fargeat
Deborah Chow
Kathryn Bigelow
Taika Waititi

and, of course, Rian Johnson(!)

seriously, Frozen's Jennifer Lee is the single best choice nobody talks about.

-Vader

Well, she basically runs Disney's entire animated department (excluding Pixar which is run by Docter). I doubt either of them will be available for anything outside of their operating zone.

I guess I need to see "Revenge" now.

I choose Fargeat less for her narrative acumen (a bit of that too) and more for creating an alien, dynamic world essentially out of pure filmmaking. That's the type of spirit SW could use.

and as right as you are about Lee, Star Wars can have a way of pulling people towards it at the expense of other obligations.

Frozen is pretty wonderful at fluidly integrating the psychological with the mythic, and she foregrounds character on an epic stage. I'm not a HUGE fan of Frozen (it's very good) but she's got the stuff for Star Wars, imo.

-Vader

Charming stuff.

Ace

Ace
New 'Star Wars' Movie in the Works With 'Sleight' Filmmaker
Deadline has confirmed that a new Star Wars feature is in the works with Sleight filmmaker J.D. Dillard and Luke Cage and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. scribe Matt Owens, but those with knowledge say that it’s not definite whether it’s for Disney+ or the big screen.
Last edited by Ace on February 21st, 2020, 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.