Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 3:48 pm
Of any filmmaker who would actually do it (IE, no Spielberg, Nolan, Cameron, Fincher) who would you want to helm the next era of Star Wars, who would it be?

happy New Years btw

-Vader

Garland, Russos, Bigelow, Cuaron, Coogler, Mangold, McQuarrie, Kosinski and Waititi.

If I'm not mistaken Mangold was already supposed to direct a Star Wars movie so he's pretty likely, especially coming of of Logan and Ford v Ferrari.

The great thing about Star Wars right now is that the Skywalker saga is over so directors should have the freedom to pitch any ideas to the studio. I would love to see what Alfonso Cuaron, Joseph Kosinsky, Brad Bird, Gareth Evans, Guillermo Del Toro or Taika Waititi would do in this universe. I'm also pretty sure Kennedy will approach a female director, possibly Michelle MacLaren.

But honestly, with all this creative freedom, Disney would be stupid to at least not approach Nolan or Spielberg and listen to their idea for a movie within the universe. They're both huge fans so I'm sure they would be open to a meeting. I doubt they'd do it, Spielberg even said he wouldn't, but I'm also sure they have an idea for a Star Wars movie in them. Every fan has. A dumptruck full of money, additional producer role and profits from future movies could convince them to change their mind and it would be amazing PR for a brand in need of some positive word of mouth.
Last edited by LelekPL on January 1st, 2020, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vader182 wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 3:48 pm
Of any filmmaker who would actually do it (IE, no Spielberg, Nolan, Cameron, Fincher) who would you want to helm the next era of Star Wars, who would it be?

happy New Years btw

-Vader
Rian Johnson.

They should just give it to Chazelle lol

Let’s be honest, it’s prob going to be someone sort of hacky, yes man type.

Nomis wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 5:34 pm
He would be my number 2.

Brad Bird would be the number 1 choice for me, still. If not for the May 2015 deadline and his own arrogance VII probably would have been his anyway, and that would be an extremely different timeline to live in methinks.

Francis Lawrence would be a great safe choice.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 8:30 am
Nomis wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 5:34 pm
He would be my number 2.

Brad Bird would be the number 1 choice for me, still. If not for the May 2015 deadline and his own arrogance VII probably would have been his anyway, and that would be an extremely different timeline to live in methinks.
Bird is not a bad choice either. McQuarrie would also be an interesting choice imo.

Okay so I read that the new Star Wars films are to be set 400 years before the Episodes. And they might follow the same sort of strategy as they do with the MCU, working towards team-up/cross-overs.

I mean idk

For me it also depends whether or not Rian is still attached. I'm still very interested what he'd do if he can come up with nothing but new stuff. And there's still another Star Wars Trilogy being planned, with Favreau or something?

It's a good thing the Episodes are done but you know, I can just as well see them picking shit up years later and given how fast things are churned out now, maybe even in ten years an Episode X and then loosely tying it to Rey
Skywalker/Palpatine/NoSheReallyWasNoOne
or whatever.

But yeah, I'd like an Old Republic setting and not being so obsessed with tying it to any thing other than a new trilogy which can stand on it's own.

400 years before the Skywalker saga is not the Old Republic :P It's the High Republic era. I mean for god's sake, Yoda was still alive