Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Sanchez wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 2:03 am
This clown again.
He made some great points if you actually watched the video instead of dismissing him as a clown :roll:

Thedarknight628 wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 4:15 am
Sanchez wrote:
This clown again.
He made some great points if you actually watched the video instead of dismissing him as a clown :roll:
I watched the entire thing before I commented. And it didn't changed my perception on him. That 15 second compilation of people in the First Order shouting? Yeah, that's literally all the shouting they do in the movies. Yet he spends four minutes of the video taking how big of a problem that is.

He does make a few fair points towards the end of the video, but the issue (that I don't even think is that big of an issue) lies in character building more than anything else.

Jahns' channel is for kids. He could be more reflective in his critique, and it comes off as too simplistic for my liking.

Sanchez wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 10:06 am
Thedarknight628 wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 4:15 am
Sanchez wrote:
This clown again.
I watched the entire thing before I commented. And it didn't changed my perception on him. That 15 second compilation of people in the First Order shouting? Yeah, that's literally all the shouting they do in the movies. Yet he spends four minutes of the video taking how big of a problem that is.

He does make a few fair points towards the end of the video, but the issue (that I don't even think is that big of an issue) lies in character building more than anything else.

Jahns' channel is for kids. He could be more reflective in his critique, and it comes off as too simplistic for my liking.
The shouting is a complete non-issue. Villains don't have to always be collected. It's stupid to make that assumption. There is a variety of ways you can make your villains feel threatening - competent probably being the most important one (but even that's not essential depending on the type of story you're making). Sometimes the First Order just doesn't feel as competent and maybe that's the issue. But "being angry" is not the problem at all in this case.

The Hollywood Reporter - Bob Iger Talks on Disney's Streaming Service, 'Roseanne,' James Gunn and a Coming ‘Star Wars' “Slowdown”
THR: Many believe Disney should pump the breaks and not put out a Star Wars movie each year.

Disney CEO Bob Iger: I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not gonna make films. J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [Episode] IX. We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven't been specific about. And we are just at the point where we're gonna start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.'s. But I think we're gonna be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.

This probably will just mean 12 months between releases but frankly if they did Star Wars movies less often than that I think we'd all be happy about it too. Keep Star Wars special.

-Vader

MagnarTheGreat wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 10:12 am
The Hollywood Reporter - Bob Iger Talks on Disney's Streaming Service, 'Roseanne,' James Gunn and a Coming ‘Star Wars' “Slowdown”
THR: Many believe Disney should pump the breaks and not put out a Star Wars movie each year.

Disney CEO Bob Iger: I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not gonna make films. J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [Episode] IX. We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven't been specific about. And we are just at the point where we're gonna start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.'s. But I think we're gonna be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.
He mentions JJ and Benioff and Weiss but no mention of Johnson’s trilogy... interesting...

Really wouldn’t be surprised if they can it tbh.

Or it might be that those are closer to production, what with Knives Out happening

Allstar wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 4:09 pm
He mentions JJ and Benioff and Weiss but no mention of Johnson’s trilogy... interesting...

Johnson recently said on Twitter the trilogy was still on track iirc

Bacon wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 1:25 am
Allstar wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 4:09 pm

Johnson recently said on Twitter the trilogy was still on track iirc
That’s not relevant to what Disney might be thinking. I don’t think it’s offically canned right now at all but I wouldn’t be shocked if they scrap it at some point.

Ace
'Star Wars' Chief Kathleen Kennedy's Lucasfilm Deal Extended for Three Years
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... rs-1147653
Sources tell THR that Episode IX will be the last of the "chapter" installments, with Disney planning on touting it as a selling point in the promotion campaign for the film in the year leading up to its release. Lucasfilm is developing feature projects from Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, as well as a potential trilogy from Rian Johnson, the filmmaker behind Last Jedi. Johnson, however, is currently prepping to shoot a detective thriller that is to star Daniel Craig.

Sources say that the near future of Star Wars lies in television with Kennedy-led Lucasfilm planning on expanding the universe with new characters in that medium. The shows at this stage include a live-action series run by Jon Favreau (which is currently casting) and the animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars, both of which will air on Disney’s untitled streaming service, which is set to launch in the second half of 2019. Meanwhile, another animated series, Star Wars Resistance, premieres this month on The Disney Channel.

Lucasfilm is also developing a new Indiana Jones movie, the fifth in a series starring Harrison Ford and directed by Spielberg, but that project recently saw its release date push from July 10, 2020, to July 9, 2021. Script issues were the cause. The last Jones movie, 2008's The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, grossed $786 million worldwide, adjusted for inflation.