Widows (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Sanchez wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 7:11 pm
Dug this. Viola Davis is brilliant.

Only thing that felt really rushed
is how Neeson's character just stopped caring for his wife for wha? 30 years of marriage? I get that he feels guilty for what happened to the son, but that was a long time ago, and now all of the sudden he is just completely fine ruining her life (twice)...

Wish they would have taken more time on that.
the unknowability is partly the point. Men have that privilege, women don't.

-Vader

well this was good

what is with all these movies flopping this year? it's like, we're getting a lot of really good films, but none of them are making the cultural impact they need to

My guess is when movies come to streaming in like 3 months or less, there is no urgency anymore to see films in theaters.

Keep an eye on r/movies over the next few months. We're going to be seeing "Just watched Widows on Prime. This movie is incredible. How did it flop?" posts pretty soon.

Artemis wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 11:28 pm
My guess is when movies come to streaming in like 3 months or less, there is no urgency anymore to see films in theaters.

Keep an eye on r/movies over the next few months. We're going to be seeing "Just watched Widows on Prime. This movie is incredible. How did it flop?" posts pretty soon.
yeah, but there's no urgency to see things on streaming either

a new Coen brothers film was released on Netflix this weekend, and no one outside film twitter seems to know it even exists

gil and steve are the weirdest pairing and it comes off weird

ArmandFancypants wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 10:59 pm
Presumably the community also sees a lot of films that they don't necessarily talk about on here...?
This. There’s tons of threads for stuff I may share an interest in that don’t have even 3 pages. And then I remember how many times I’ve posted something without ever getting a reply back, and I’m like whatever. It’s not surprising this forum is an echo chamber but gosh talking about certain stuff feels pointless.

Anyway, this is a great great film and my heart was racing for the pupper too, thx for coming to my ted talk

Ruth wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 6:20 pm
This. There’s tons of threads for stuff I may share an interest in that don’t have even 3 pages. And then I remember how many times I’ve posted something without ever getting a reply back, and I’m like whatever. It’s not surprising this forum is an echo chamber but gosh talking about certain stuff feels pointless.

It took a while but I've learned that people reply to my meme comments than my actual in-depth comments.

Ish

Gillian Flynn and McQueen always felt like a weird matchup and it gives a movie extra focused on plot with à director that doesn’t seem to care about it.

Also the plot twist was underwhelming and rushed
Debicki was great though

This is absurdly good fun

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
November 24th, 2018, 4:35 pm
Ish

Gillian Flynn and McQueen always felt like a weird matchup and it gives a movie extra focused on plot with à director that doesn’t seem to care about it.

Also the plot twist was underwhelming and rushed
Debicki was great though
That's what I love about it. Flynn is all about plot – she was a novelist after all – and McQueen is obsessed with the form. The combination works like yin and yang. Both the writing (themes etc) and the directing shine. It's got twists and turns and smart social commentary without compromising McQueen's arthouse sensibilities.