Widows (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 5:06 pm
Well, Venom or Aquaman have each 40 pages worth of thread in this forum, while this and Roma each have 8 pages. Other Side of the Wind is at like what, two or three? It's not like we ourselves have shown much more interest in really important films compared to the outside world.£
And don't we have like 1,200 pages on BvS? Lmao

YWNRH is practically micro-budget compared to these other titles, though.

And Virgo, you can't lop me into that issue, although part of that ofc is that I live in Chicago where this stuff is accessible. Plus I'm half a critic, even if these days most of that winds up on Twitter.

-Vader

Bacon wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 5:22 pm
Add to Annihilation and You Were Never Really Here to that list. Different genres but similar situations (I believe YWNRH bombed, but I'm not sure).

People like to complain that nothing unique or thought-provoking is getting made and there's brilliant stuff like those two just slipping by.
I also supported these films at the theater too.

Really does make me disillusioned as a fan. I always tell literally everyone I know to go see a movie if I truly enjoy it. I like to think I'm doing my part in supporting good cinema but literally a few people seeing these movies isn't enough to save them.

Dug this. Viola Davis is brilliant.

Only thing that felt really rushed
is how Neeson's character just stopped caring for his wife for wha? 30 years of marriage? I get that he feels guilty for what happened to the son, but that was a long time ago, and now all of the sudden he is just completely fine ruining her life (twice)...

Wish they would have taken more time on that.

Website for fans of Batman movie director skews heavily populist in viewing habits; news at 11.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 7:17 pm
Website for fans of Batman movie director skews heavily populist in viewing habits; news at 11.
why would you say something so controversial yet so brave?

ArmandFancypants wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Did I ever say that there is no reason known to humankind behind it, or pretended that it's an unnatural phenomenon? Only that we are not exactly above the clouds ourselves, when we like to criticise the general audience out there for their lack of enthusiasm towards real cinema.

Not Vader obviously, not many here if any at all, engage in real film talk as much as he does.£

Okay to be fair, a lot of our "real cinema" talk goes on in the Last Movie You Watched thread. With a lot of the current "real cinema", they don't get wide releases nearly as much and it can get costly to catch up with the movies too.

Master Virgo wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 8:37 pm
Did I ever say that there is no reason known to humankind behind it, or pretended that it's an unnatural phenomenon? Only that we are not exactly above the clouds ourselves, when we like to criticise the general audience out there for their lack of enthusiasm towards real cinema.

Not Vader obviously, not many here if any at all, engage in real film talk as much as he does.£
Chicken and egg. There's reams of solid reading material buried in the past of this forum but there was never a proportional appetite for it in discussion to follow. So we stop screaming into a void about Powell and Pressburger and whatnot.

Presumably the community also sees a lot of films that they don't necessarily talk about on here...?