Widows (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This is opening next week for me, looking forward to it

Yeah, this is pretty great. It feels like something McQueen probably should have been doing all along. It’s gripping, and every beat is masterfully sharp. It felt like prime Mann mixed with McQueen’s indie art house sensibilities. This is probably my favorite film of his now (Shame being second). I was never really that big into his work, but he proved his versatility and true talent as a filmmaker with this one. Well done.

I've let it sunk in a lot now and some of the elements I really loved about the film were the screenwriting and how Chicago is used in the film.

I think Flynn has improved a lot as a screenwriter. I loved the litter character moments that clued us into their overall history
especially with Alice. When her mother slaps her and in her introduction we see a black eye she got from her husband. Then when Veronica slaps her she hits back and takes a stand. It really said so much with so little and as the audience we really root for her.
Using Chicago as the backdrop is a great choice for so many reasons but the two that come to mind the most is
when Linda takes Alice to the ER and she says that it was a drive by. It just would not work nearly as well in any other city. And when Marcus is stopped by the police in front of the Obama hope posters, it adds another chilling layer to the situation because of how much Obama loves Chicago.
I think this is going to be a movie I watch over and over again for sure.

Add Widows to the list of mid-budget adult oriented art movies that have flopped recently: First Man, Bad Times at the El Royale, Suspiria, and now Widows.

Early festival predictions were correct, sadly. Most likely too genre to make a big splash during award season, most pundits don't have it in most major categories, while it's way too art-house to play commercially.

When we complain why don't we get more adult oriented fair, this is why. Nobody watches it.

-Vader

Ugh that sucks to hear but at the same time I'm not surprised. Adults who would have seen Widows probably went to see Fantastic Beasts with their kids.

Actually saw all the movies you listed and loved all of them. I feel like if First Man didn't have that stupid controversy, more people would have seen it.

First Man didn't do well overseas either. I saw it like three days after the premiere and the room was almost empty. And nobody here cares for the controversy.

Then I saw Venom this week and there wasn't an empty seat.

Artemis wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 6:31 am
Within the film, I think the score works very well with the scenes and it's rather subtle. But at the same time, I've already forgotten it.
It's used very well. Basically one long crescendo that reminds me a little of Dunkirk. But the score itself just sounded like usual Remote Control stuff. I just think it's a shame when you think of how well Gone Girl's score sets up the mood. Something similar could've been done here.

Vader182 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 5:54 pm
Add Widows to the list of mid-budget adult oriented art movies that have flopped recently: First Man, Bad Times at the El Royale, Suspiria, and now Widows.

Early festival predictions were correct, sadly. Most likely too genre to make a big splash during award season, most pundits don't have it in most major categories, while it's way too art-house to play commercially.

When we complain why don't we get more adult oriented fair, this is why. Nobody watches it.

-Vader
This is pretty depressing. I know there may not be a big overlap between more dedicated film fans and GAs, but when we blame Hollywood for giving us crap, it’s part of our fault, too. They give us what we want. And we seem to not want stuff like this, unfortunately.

I, sadly, wasn’t been able to see this on Friday/Saturday and am too tired to go today. Will probably go tomorrow. Really liked all of McQueen’s previous films, so I’m sure I’ll like this one as well.

Well, Venom or Aquaman have each 40 pages worth of thread in this forum, while this and Roma each have 8 pages. Other Side of the Wind is at like what, two or three? It's not like we ourselves have shown much more interest in really important films compared to the outside world.£

Add to Annihilation and You Were Never Really Here to that list. Different genres but similar situations (I believe YWNRH bombed, but I'm not sure).

People like to complain that nothing unique or thought-provoking is getting made and there's brilliant stuff like those two just slipping by.