Widows (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
84 on metacritic = "tepid"....

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/widows

Why does it seem like Vader has an odd pattern of downplaying certain filmmakers. You can't in anyway compared this to 12 Years a Slave in terms of award potential.

This is one of the better movies of a very strong year. Deftly captures the societal macrocosm of Chicago (#represent) in all spheres. Every aspect of the movie is rich in micro-details of politics, race, class and gender that, impressively, rarely feel heavy handed and add sociopolitical weight to the genre beats they don't always have.

Deliciously, the Flynn-McQueen combo has gifted us high art pulp trash and it's as much her voice as it is McQueen's.

(also, McQueen introduced the film along with Gillian Flynn, Michelle Rodriguez, Viola Davis, and Liam Neeson. Huge reactions all around)

-Vader

plz everyone see this and support good art this weekend, it's in wide release

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 6:53 pm
plz everyone see this and support good art this weekend, it's in wide release

-Vader
Going on Friday

Is this somewhat fun to watch ? I hope so with Flynn's involvment

I respect McQueen a lot, his three films are objectively great, but they've all left me kinda cold and I never rewatched any of them

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 8:21 pm

I respect McQueen a lot, his three films are objectively great, but they've all left me kinda cold and I never rewatched any of them
McQueen is in turns confrontational and visceral, and knowing he comes from the tradition of Video Installation certainly deepens what he's doing in his work. But if a movie about a hunger strike, sex addiction and social alienation, and slavery was "warm" or "fun" viewing he may not be doing his job correctly.

But yes, Widows is entertaining.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 9:03 pm
Now Where Was I ? wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 8:21 pm

McQueen is in turns confrontational and visceral, and knowing he comes from the tradition of Video Installation certainly deepens what he's doing in his work. But if a movie about a hunger strike, sex addiction and social alienation, and slavery was "warm" or "fun" viewing he may not be doing his job correctly.

But yes, Widows is entertaining.

-Vader
Absolutely. But his choice of subjects and the treatment makes his stuff really hard to watch. For me at least.

Wow...this was FUCKING INCREDIBLE! One of the most tense theater experiences ever.
the way everything tied together and connected was amazing

This was so good. I honestly don't know why I was expecting a mediocre effort from McQueen and Flynn and my expectations were completely defied. It's so smart, well-plotted, refreshing, and enjoyable. Happy to see McQueen hold back on the formalism (or use it more subtly) and Flynn get even better at screenwriting than before. Even though the script isn't perfect, I can see this being studied and taught at film schools for years to come.

However it's the second disappointing McQueen and Zimmer collaboration. I expect someone like McQueen (so obsessed with the form) to be more experimental or demanding regarding the score.

Within the film, I think the score works very well with the scenes and it's rather subtle. But at the same time, I've already forgotten it.