Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:
April 29th, 2018, 1:46 am
When Strange gave Thanos the stone to save Stark I rolled my eyes because the situation was so similar. Luckily they redeemed that.
Regarding this particular moment,
this article kind of convinced me that Strange did the right thing.

Bacon wrote:
April 29th, 2018, 1:46 am
Yeah, the whole time I was like
why is Wakanda still hidden? And I've already complained how this negates the end of HC, but they kind of reference it.
@Vader's question (I'm not sure I loved this movie, but I liked it a lot):
I wasn't too bothered that Thanos' hunt for the stones was just him punching through stuff. What did bother me was how easy everyone was willing to give up the world for one person. Wanda eventually decided to act rationally and Quill's motivations/actions worked well for me, but Loki giving into Thanos' torture of Thor was just dumb. Gamora gave in way too quickly to Nebula's torture and was like salt in the wound of how repetitious that plot thread was. I thought the place she took Thanos to wasn't the real place but...it was? When Strange gave Thanos the stone to save Stark I rolled my eyes because the situation was so similar. Luckily they redeemed that.
you misunderstood why Strange gave the stone to Thanos, it wasn’t for Tony, I’ll say that. Also Loki’s plan was to kill Thanos so he did not “give in” he just happened to fail. Gamora tried killing herself so Thanos wouldn’t get the stone...
Side note-
I hope Nebula has a much bigger part in the sequel.

Bacon wrote:
April 29th, 2018, 1:34 am
Also Anton's also right. Age of Ultron isn't great but it's a lot better than I originally thought even if certain sequences and scenes just stick out like really sore thumbs.

Question:
If Thanos is against unnecessary killing, why did he murder all of Asgard?

Also, I didn't like Ragnarok so it doesn't bother me, but does it bother anyone that this film basically negates the entire ending of the previous film?
he only murdered half the people, as confirmed by Thor later. It is confusing as they really should have shown scenes of Valkyrie and co getting the surviving half on the escape pods etc to show that.

Although he did murder everyone on Nedavellir though except Eitiri.

Question: why does Thanos wait until now to do any of this if he presumably wanted these stones for a while? He presumably knew that Loki had one of the Infinity Stones right after he got defeated on Earth because Loki used the Tesseract and Thanos had been observing the entire thing...so what's he been waiting for this entire time? Oh I know why the studio only managed to get him involved now after 18 films but from a story perspective it makes no sense if this is his priority that he would not go immediately to Earth or Asgard after the first Avengers film to get what he wants.

Thanos' plan is also a bit dumb and simplistic:
like, if you can do anything once you have all the Infinity Stones, why would Thanos even need to kill anyone? Could he not just make the universe 20 times bigger so that resource scarcity is not a problem? Killing half the universe once is not going to stop people from having children so 500 years later he has to do the same thing, if he even lives that long. The Gauntlet can change reality and I don't think anyone ever said in the films that it cannot create new matter from nothing so he can just create new resources and food for the entire universe with the rules as they have been established so far. But instead what does he want to do? Kill half the universe...ugh.
Last edited by Batfan175 on April 29th, 2018, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

If the writers weren't going to develop the 'save your friends or the universe' idea, why didn't they develop the 'save half of life or save no one' idea?

Viewers are left to assume Thanos is right and he did save the universe.

Saying that the Avengers want to 'save the Universe' would clearly not be true in this case.

Instead the arguments on either side are non-existent and everything that happens in this movie just happens in a vacuum.
4/10

These 'heroes' did not watch Star Trek apparently or they would have listened to Spock's last words in Wrath of Khan.

It is terrible that we're even entertaining the idea that the definition of 'hero' can now include people who cannot make a sacrifice for the greater good that results in an unhappy future for themselves other than at the very last second when many people have already suffered...and that's because the MCU does not care enough about these details to think through the implications of what it presents to us.

Vader182 wrote:
April 29th, 2018, 1:36 am
Infinity War more or less negates the endings of half or more of recent Marvel movies
Civil War, Spider-Man Homecoming, Thor Ragnarok. Arguably Black Panther since despite being 'open" they get no outside help fighting Thanos.
-Vader
Yeah, this may be my biggest problem with it.
Spider-Man being an Avenger, Black Panther completely hidden were troublesome. Biggest offender really was Civil War though, which was supposed to be the big setup for Infinity War and had the exact same creative team working on it. I'm not sure Civil War is negated, but it is totally forgotten and inconsequential in this film

NFometer: 78% [⬆ 1%]
Based on the Ratings of 23 Members
Average Score: (7.6/10) [⬇ 0.1]

Positive

User of Interest (10/10)
Allstar (9.1/10)
BlairCo (9/10)
Dobson (9/10)
MyCocaine (9/10)
darthnazgul (9/10)
Sanchez (8.3/10)
LelekPL (8/10)