Black Panther (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Brilliant Film. I would say it can beat Deadpool to become the second most successful film in award season.

For Oscar, I think these are possible nods:
Production Design (huge threat to win)
Sound Mixing
Costume
VFX
Editing (less likely than the above 4)
Long shot: Supporting Actor for Michael B Jordan, Score
Almost Impossible but could happen: Best Picture

^ VFX? Da fuck.
Pratham wrote:
February 23rd, 2018, 3:50 am
darthnazgul wrote:
February 22nd, 2018, 9:21 pm
I actually disagree with what he said in regards to the "bathos" humour. It's not gone in Black Panther, it's quite noticeable.
Well that's what he said as well. It's not gone but toned down quite a bit.

Edit: Baron Zemo was good villain. How are people forgetting him btw.
Didn’t see it tbh, on the contrary in some cases.

The humor is definitely toned down. And where it still is, it actually has its place, like Okoye's response to Ross' "does she speak English". The silly humor DOES exist, but I found it to be genuinely funny and I'm not sure what's up with people who continuously put up with Marvel's humor throughout multiple films, but for some reason in BP, it's suddenly a flaw. It's not. But the villain, for example, is completely stripped from any possibility (unlike Loki, for example) of turning into a comic relief. Not a single character throws a joke about him, like, ever iirc.

I don’t get it.

The VFX looks fucking identical to almost every other MCU film before this.

Except Doctor Strange, which stands out to me for some reason.

‘MCU humor’ has layers upon layers of meanings depending on a case to case scenario.

Is it ‘unecessarry silly in the midst of a serious situation’ (like in most movies)? Then you have:

-obvious punchlines
-obvious callback to a previous situation
-bizzare but works for the most part (like in Ragnarok’s planet sequences)
-silly but works for the most part (GotG)
-lands so nicely that it actually works as ‘humor’ (again, various cases)
-bizzare and most definitely does not work (car chase finale from BP comes to mind)
(...)

One other example from BP:

-Don’t freeze when you see her.
-I never freeze (that’s cute since it builds a relationship between the two, tells you there’s history there)
but then again, later...
-Did you freeze?

Hue-hue... wish all of that ‘fatal attraction’ was actually on screen instead of just being a punchline in everyone’s mouth.

In cinema where I saw it there was a clear distinction between the left and right side of the room. Left side laughed like it was Robin Williams in his prime days, right side was dead silent. Anecdotal. :)
Last edited by m4st4 on February 23rd, 2018, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

The thing with a good romance on screen is that it usually has to be a conflict at the beginning or a completely different dynamic. You need to see an arc to a relationship, at least on one side. It might not be realistic but on screen that's the only way to make it believable. If you're just told that they're in love, you really don't get to believe it because you didn't experience it, you didn't feel it. That's why the romance in BP doesn't work.

That's why Pepper-Tony works so well, or even Selina-Bruce

LelekPL wrote:
February 23rd, 2018, 9:33 am
The thing with a good romance on screen is that it usually has to be a conflict at the beginning or a completely different dynamic. You need to see an arc to a relationship, at least on one side. It might not be realistic but on screen that's the only way to make it believable. If you're just told that they're in love, you really don't get to believe it because you didn't experience it, you didn't feel it. That's why the romance in BP doesn't work.

That's why Pepper-Tony works so well, or even Selina-Bruce
See, Pepper and Tony... now that is just embarrassingly sexy all the time. That’s called on screen chemistry. And they’re not even engaged until Homecoming amirite? Black Panther is the sort of movie that tells you A and B are meant to be together and you’re suppose to accept it just because it’s romanticism.

Why did the convo suddenly shift from "humor doesn't work in BP" to "romance doesn't work in BP"? Because, sure, there's not much chemistry between T'Challa and Nakia, and while you root for them individually, there's not that much to root for when it comes to their relationship, because it's barely there. Which is one of my gripes with this film - the character arcs do feel a bit rushed. Some don't really need them to rock (like Shuri), but Erik, Nakia and T'Challa could've used some more time dedicated to them.

But it doesn't have that much to do with the film's overall humor lol, except the "did you freeze" bits, which were odd, but I guess could be seen as cute. 50/50 you could say they did work or didn't, I'm kinda neutral on this one. The rest of the jokes work fine imo. I don't see how they're any different from any other MCU movie, which is why I don't see this as a flaw. The Lupita driving the car "joke"? I thought it was funny, I have no idea what the fuck's up with m4's snarky attitude towards audiences and their taste of humor or whatever the hell he tried to imply.

I Am The Night wrote:
February 23rd, 2018, 8:11 am
Brilliant Film. I would say it can beat Deadpool to become the second most successful film in award season.

For Oscar, I think these are possible nods:
Production Design (huge threat to win)
Sound Mixing
Costume
VFX
Editing (less likely than the above 4)
Long shot: Supporting Actor for Michael B Jordan, Score
Almost Impossible but could happen: Best Picture
Dude... It's February right now.

Ruth wrote:
February 23rd, 2018, 10:06 am
Why did the convo suddenly shift from "humor doesn't work in BP" to "romance doesn't work in BP"? Because, sure, there's not much chemistry between T'Challa and Nakia, and while you root for them individually, there's not that much to root for when it comes to their relationship, because it's barely there. Which is one of my gripes with this film - the character arcs do feel a bit rushed. Some don't really need them to rock (like Shuri), but Erik, Nakia and T'Challa could've used some more time dedicated to them.

But it doesn't have that much to do with the film's overall humor lol, except the "did you freeze" bits, which were odd, but I guess could be seen as cute. 50/50 you could say they did work or didn't, I'm kinda neutral on this one. The rest of the jokes work fine imo. I don't see how they're any different from any other MCU movie, which is why I don't see this as a flaw. The Lupita driving the car "joke"? I thought it was funny, I have no idea what the fuck's up with m4's snarky attitude towards audiences and their taste of humor or whatever the hell he tried to imply.
Nothing ‘shifted’, people talk. Exchange opinions. Add upon them.

As for that last line... fuck if I know. Not in the slightest my intention. Define ‘audiences’? I never said anything about the receivers, I talked about those who give (MCU production teams). Should’ve explicitly said that humor is also subjective (ahem*anecdotal part of the post*ahem) I guess, otherwise someone might get offended for no reason.