Suicide Squad (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Well damn, I had fun with this. I even liked it.

Weakest movie of the DCEU? Sure. It's a bigger mess in terms of narrative, structure and editing than BvS theatrical, but the fun of it all - eg the camaraderie between the Skwad, (Smith and Robbie especially are as expected fantastic) - it still makes this craziness work, and unlike BvS TC I can see audiences forgiving the messiness because of that fun factor. Now that 140m domestic OW figure makes a bit more sense and I don't think we'll get a big second week drop and I guess A- CinemaScore.

May repeat myself in these but anyway the good: Smith and Robbie, I actually liked the mob boss gangster approach to Joker here so props to Leto for making it work, Courtney was funny and Diablo was cool as well. Katana though, I wish we could see more especially back story instead of being a couple dialogue throwaways, same for Slipknot (for obvious reasons). The interactions, the chemistry, the humour, you spend a great time with them all that you forget/cab excuseas an audience member the bad stuff. Also MVP: Viola. Bloody. Davis. Female F.U. with badassery cranked up to 11, absolutely fantastic.

So the bad stuff: first act oh my dear god that was, while at first enjoyable, but I didn't really like the way it was put together. (I see you Trailer Park - that all is definitely from their cut). Thankfully it's all evened out once the mission begins, making the rest of the film like an extemded third act is certainly an interesting choice, although it did not make sense story and plot wise. It's during the rest of the film - where you get more of Price's great score and less of all the pop stuff (looking at you again Trailer Park) that we see what Ayer was originally trying to make. This messy conflict of visions is there when you look closely but again, thanks to the characters it just works.

Also - biggest wasted potential is Enchantress: not to mention Cara hamming it up, I think a very interesting Mr Robot/Fight Club-esque dynamic of Moone v Enchantress could've been explored (and I liked the pairing of her and Flagg on paper) but no she's Gozer 2.0 in this which is serviceable and alright given what we get in most other CBMs....

Lastly - all the complaints on how "problematic" it is - um they're bad guys? And Harley tried to pull a knife on Bats underwater so, there.

And also lastly but spoilers
one too much Batman, just one cameo in the film would've been enough, but Wayne at the end was AWESOMENESS
So yeah, it's a hot mess but at least it's a good , even great B movie fun time. Can we get Ayer's cut pls

6.5/10
Last edited by antovolk on August 6th, 2016, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Pro
Law
As much as I didn't like this, can't deny how tight it was when Deadshot was laying waste on top of the police car.

Where did this come from? How did they get this?

one of the rapid fire flashbacks in Harley's 'dossier' sequence the first act

Ant, you put this on the level of Civil War? You thought Civil War was a 6.5???

Bacon wrote:Ant, you put this on the level of Civil War? You thought Civil War was a 6.5???
It's the way it works out when I do rankings - Civil War is a better film on an objective level although I enjoyed SS more.

antovolk wrote:
Bacon wrote:Ant, you put this on the level of Civil War? You thought Civil War was a 6.5???
It's the way it works out when I do rankings - Civil War is a better film on an objective level although I enjoyed SS more.
lol

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/20 ... hats-okay/

For those of you who didn't like this movie, best way to go about it is to keep your fingers crossed for a Margot-Leto centered movie asap, as well as reading DC Rebirth titles such as Harley Quinn and Suicide Squad, both are really damn good, especially Harley since it's the same proven team from New 52 run (Conner-Palmiotti).

Next year will be better, has to be.

I fucking loved this piece of shit.