Jonathan Nolan VS Christopher Nolan

All non-Nolan related entertainment discussion. Join the fun!
Posts: 2554
Joined: July 2013
Disclaimer: Mods, since this is about both of the Nolan bros, I wasn't sure which specified sub-section to post this thread in, so I just posted it here. Feel free to move it though.

--------------------------

So when it comes to writing a screenplay or story, which Nolan would you say is a more skilled writer? I actually thought this over for a little while, and I came to the conclusion that I really can't make a solid decision. I feel like the two brothers act like the two halves of a Ying-Yang. They both have their specific traits and qualities that balance each other out, and come together to create a really full, rich story.

When you look back at Chris Nolan's filmography, so much of his material has been contributed greatly by Jonathan. Take Memento for example: While Chris may have delivered the film we all know and love, we have to keep in mind that the core of the story was the creation of Jonathan.

I think that while someone may be able to provide an argument over who they 'feel' is a more skilled writer, the fact of the matter is, when it comes to who to thank for so many of Chris's films, and his success in general, you can't do it without giving a great deal of credit to Jonathan as well.


And of course, the classic quote from Jonathan regarding his work with Chris:
I've always suspected that it has something to do with the fact that he's left-handed and I'm right-handed, because he's somehow able to look at my ideas and flip them around in a way that's just a little bit more twisted and interesting. It's great to be able to work with him like that.

Posts: 116
Joined: November 2013
MiracleSleeper2 wrote:I feel like the two brothers act like the two halves of a Ying-Yang. They both have their specific traits and qualities that balance each other out, and come together to create a really full, rich story.
This is pretty much how I see it.

Posts: 7450
Joined: February 2012
It's hard to say. When Jonathan works alongside Christopher there's a special kinda brew of writing that you don't see with his other films or when he's working off of someone else. For example, Batman Begins had some weak moments in the script, far more so than when Jonathan joined the trilogy. Of course, my favourite film is Inception, and that was a pure solo job by Christopher.

With that said, I haven't seen Jonathan's solo work. I haven't read Memento Mori and I haven't seen Person of Interest. For all I know he's just the condiment to Christopher's full course meals.

Posts: 7738
Joined: February 2012
Location: Boston, Taxachusetts.
I'm not certain of this but I've always felt that J. Nolan was the better writer. I don't know if it's coincidence but my very favorite Nolan films have been the ones where he contributed. The ones written without Jonah tend to have a bit too much exposition in places. Or at least it seems this way, again I'm not certain of this. Of course, it could just be the 2 of them are perfect together and if Jonah wrote without Chris I would find some unseen flaw in his writing. Maybe your right, it's Yin and Yang. Balance.

Posts: 827
Joined: December 2013
Yeah, I gotta say it's a very close call here. I'll put it this way, Chris needs Jonah about as much as Jonah needs Chris.

If Jonathan didn't help Chris with the screenplays I would hope that some other screenwriter (not named David Goyer) would help him out with the scripts. Because he can be a bit too expository at times.

Also, isn't there a third Nolan brother? I wonder how he contributes to the Nolan family tree.

Posts: 66
Joined: September 2014
Chris Nolan. Mainly because Inception was brilliant.

Posts: 2536
Joined: January 2012
The Taxman wrote:Also, isn't there a third Nolan brother? I wonder how he contributes to the Nolan family tree.
Yes, Matthew Nolan: a scam artist, wannabe prison-escapee and likely murderer.

Posts: 5230
Joined: May 2014
Matthew_Nolan wrote:Chris Nolan. Mainly because Inception was brilliant.

Posts: 66
Joined: September 2014
nolannolanchrischris wrote:
The Taxman wrote:Also, isn't there a third Nolan brother? I wonder how he contributes to the Nolan family tree.
Yes, Matthew Nolan: a scam artist, wannabe prison-escapee and likely murderer.
Ugh...Okay just to make things clear - my username was taken off from Matthew Mcconaughey and Mr. Nolan. I wasn't aware he had a third brother, and even less a criminal brother, lol - certainly I wouldn't name myself after a likely murderer's name.

Posts: 3169
Joined: March 2011
These two have been working together so much that it's hard to tell now which one does what on the stuff they collaborated on. They're really a dream team.

Post Reply