Shazam! (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
If this movie is anything like Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm afraid I won't enjoy it. I just don't like obnoxious, on-the-nose humor that punches me in the face and yells, "Laugh, mdfkr! This is funny! I said, LAUGH! See how funny this is!?!" I understand that this is a wish fulfillment movie about a kid who becomes a superhero, but you don't have to go lowbrow to do that. Heck, Shazam comics didn't do that. Not the ones I've read, at least. Nor was he like that in the JL TAS. Let's hope for the best.

So i take it you don’t like any comedies?

shauner111 wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 8:27 pm
Well... is it possible to hate this type of broad, MCU-style comedy and STILL love other types of comedy? I'm pretty sure it's possible.

shauner111 wrote:
Comedy is a very specific genre. And yes, I do enjoy comedies. Even some of the lowbrow ones. My main problem, which I did not specify, is when comedy being inserted into these high-stake, tentpole films that don't qualify as comedies. That creates tonal dissonance for me when you have a movie presenting itself as one thing but then being tonally uneven to its premise. That goes both ways. If a comedy presents itself as, well, a comedy, it better stick to that. And the comedy better be good. Otherwise, you end up with movies like Click and Hancock, which start out as comedies, but then become weird tear-jerking dramas by the end.

Batman's Batman wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 7:31 pm
shauner111 wrote:
Comedy is a very specific genre.
No it's not.

Batman's Batman wrote:
And the comedy better be good. Otherwise, you end up with movies like Click and Hancock, which start out as comedies, but then become weird tear-jerking dramas by the end.
It's called dramedy and it's older than you think.

A comedy is technically any film where the protagonist survives.

95% on RT (7.88/10) with 40 reviews

whaaaaat

Pratham wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 2:43 am
Batman's Batman wrote:
And the comedy better be good. Otherwise, you end up with movies like Click and Hancock, which start out as comedies, but then become weird tear-jerking dramas by the end.
It's called dramedy and it's older than you think.
The movies I mentioned weren't dramedies. Their first halfs were straight up comedies, and their second halfs transformed into full on dramas. Bruce The Almighty had the same problem. I remember as a kid watching that movie for its first half and loving it, but then I was extremely bored when all the sad and dark stuff started appearing.