RIP Robin Williams

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I laughed so much... thanks for that video... Robin I miss you god damn it.

More funny speeches. Cheered me up a lot of times...

Still very bummed with his passing. Beside the loss of such a talented, charismatic artist, the way it happened was particularly harder to absorb cause I have some experience on the matter. Since the news, I've been reading a lot of what's being published and posted all around about depression and suicide, especially among comic related artists. Bellow, is a piece of an article from the website of the BBC Brasil, entitled "Why does so many comedians suffer from depression?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/portuguese/noticia ... o_rb.shtml
Contradictory profile

"It does not take a genius to know that comedians are a little crazy", said the English humorist Susan Murray earlier this year, in response to a study that suggested that comedians have psychological traces linked to psychosis. In January, researchers from Oxford University published the results of a study in which 523 comedians (404 men and 119 women) in the United Kingdom, the United States and Australia participated.
"We found that comedians have an unusual personality profile and somewhat contradictory" says Gordon Claridge, Department of Experimental Psychology at Oxford. "On the one hand, they were quite introverted, depressed, and could even say, weird. On the other, they are very outgoing and full of quirks. Maybe comedy - the extroverted side - is a way of dealing with the depressive side. But of course, this is not true for every comedian."

English comedian Stephen Fry, who in 2006 released the documentary The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive, revealed his fight against depression in a 2012 interview: "There were times during the show that I was laughing on the outside, while inside I thought "I want to die".

John Lloyd, producer and actor in comedy shows on British TV, suffers from bipolar disorder, which seriously affects mood. A bipolar person alternates between phases of extreme happiness and creativity and deep depression. Lloyd says this kind of problem is "very, very common among creative professionals. Stable people think that the world is fine as it is today. They don't think it needs change. Creative people do not think so. And those who want to change the world suffer a lot from it."

Reportedly, Robin Williams also suffered from bipolar disorder. In public, he always seemed to be acting and making others laugh, but he also never hid his personal problems, especially with substance abuse. On the other hand, he was more reserved about his anxiety problems, but always sought to see the positive side of the situation. "Whenever I get depressed, comedy rescues me" he told The Guardian newspaper in 1996.
I can't say I was a huge Robin Williams fan, but it's impossible not to acknowledge his talent and charisma. What I loved about him the most was his boldness, like in this 2006 interview on David Letterman:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RIP, Mr. Williams. You'll surely be missed.

Just realised I have Dead Poets Society on my hard drive.... :idea:
Should watch that when I get over the rawness of Robin's death. Haven't seen any of his "serious" work bar Insomnia and One Hour Photo

Good Will Hunting, Dead Poets Society and Good Moring Vietnam are must-see films.

I know I'm late, but I been busy doing A LOT of running around the past few days since this happened. This is very shocking, and very big news. WIlliams was around forever it seems like. He was a great comedian and also was capable of giving solid as fuck dramatic performances. Very talented man, too bad it had to happen like this. RIP.

I honestly can't bear to watch any of his comedy performances right now. Im 38 so I can actually remember watching episodes of Mork and Mindy on tv - most of which was 20 minutes of his riffing stream of consciousness improv. His public career encompassed my entire life basically. As far as comedians go, only Eddie Murphy approached his pervasiveness and influence in my childhood. Im still in shock (as are many of my friends).

For some reason, the only movie of his that I feel like watching is The Fisher King. My wife has never seen it. We'll screen it when she gets back from yoga. Im apprehensive because she's never seen me really cry. First time for everything I guess.