Mute (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Did Duncan Jones make this while with a pacifier in his mouth?

i wish his movies were good

This looks very standard. Was expecting more from Jones

Oku
Haven't watched the trailer myself even though I posted it :P out of sheer laziness.

But after seeing all y'all's negative reactions, I don't want to watch it now, and I'll go in with low expectations, which means I'll probably enjoy it more.

I guess there was a reason why the marketing for this film was non-existent until the last-minute.

Oku wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 10:02 am
Haven't watched the trailer myself even though I posted it :P out of sheer laziness.

But after seeing all y'all's negative reactions, I don't want to watch it now, and I'll go in with low expectations, which means I'll probably enjoy it more.

I guess there was a reason why the marketing for this film was non-existent until the last-minute.
Go where? You can watch this under your blanket or even closet on your phone.

Rohan wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 2:25 pm
Oku wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 10:02 am

Go where? You can watch this under your blanket or even closet on your phone.
Still looks better than a lot of Night’s work.

Some great bits, some ehh, some wtf. You could feel how personal this film is, the vision shines through, Jones really pushes boundaries tonally, visually and musically (fantastic work from Mansell) but it's all built upon a shaky foundation of a story that doesn't gel together as much as it should. Is it about the titular mute Leo, or is it about the Rudd/Theroux duo? Or that whole mafia conspiracy that could be the whole key to the mystery? Sure, there's a point where one of these things click but it's way too out of left field and too late. It's an interesting one because it's not so much there's potential in the story which was unrealised, it's the other way round. Worth checking out though still, if only for the IMO great worldbuilding.

Nothing in this film proves that its director's vision is worthy of praise let alone claiming that it is shining.

Rohan wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 2:09 pm
Did Duncan Jones make this while with a pacifier in his mouth?

I think critics are being extremely harsh to this film. I've seen genuinely a lot worse films than this. It is not bad, but I had higher expectations.