Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:I've avoided digging into RJ since ultimately it may be a taste thing, but I frankly just don't like his style. Or lack of it. Lots of bland medium shots with uninterseting blocking and movement. TFA's photography is so emotive, so perfectly precise. TLJ has a lot of just point the camera at a direction the actors are in.

Some of TLJ is jaw dropping and the production design is amazing. But, for me, so much of it felt criminally bland. The polite way is to say it is that RJ isn't a "manipulative" filmmaker and a more formal one. But Star Wars is all about emoting kineticism and visceral power from the images. And TLJ is really uneven when it wants to do that vs when it doesn't. He does all these flatly lit medium shots with zero interesting things going on in the frame.

I also hate the way he motivates action and plot and characters and it often feels like they don't do what he wants so he imposes their will onto them. It doesn't always feel organic. IE:
All the bombers are so fragile that if one blows they all blow, like a string of firecrackers. It seems like they all get destroyed because they're garbage, not because of poe ignoring orders to call off his attack. Did Poe ignore orders? Yes. Is he a hotshot in need of being humbled? Yes. But Rian Johnson positions all the bombers blowing up to be "evidence" that Poe is a hotshot. But they're not. If one can easily blow up the others at any time. If Poe's attack -itself- led to all the ships getting blown up, the point would be clearer. But instead, he introduces foreign elements into the narrative.

That's kind of like the US painting the war in the middle east as a response to 9/11.
That's kinda how he handles the whole movie.

-Vader
How about them out of focus shots?

darthnazgul wrote: How about them out of focus shots?
the one way it follow's tfa's footprint

If folks chime in I'd really appreciate it, I'm super curious how everybody feels about...
The Last Jedi seems to push a Factory Reset to Star Wars in 1977. Think about it... In the final minutes of TLJ, the rebels are turned into a grass roots movement, and the First Order will now rule the galaxy.

Doesn't that sound pretty familiar?

We're entering Episode IX almost identically to how we enter A New Hope. The stage of the galactic conflict is nearly Rogue One era, we've got rebels that are banding together to destroy a military oppressor with unlimited power. That's partially a consequence of how Rian chose not to double down on what's unique about The Resistance and or The First Order and works with that. Instead he says "let's call a spade a spade. This is clearly The Rebels and The Empire." Rian deconstructs these things, he doesn't add to them. So as The Last Jedi comes to a close, Rebels vs Empire are deconstructed to the bare essentials of what they always were in the first place. It's like The Last Jedi goes so far forwards it accidentally went backwards.

As subversive as The Last Jed is, it seems that the state of he Galaxy hasn't been this familiar in 40 years of Star Wars.

-Vader
Last edited by Vader182 on January 2nd, 2018, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vader, well said, but also not accidental. You're aware of the new / old status from the moment you see Poe driving one of these...
And you realize it's all just one big allegory for what's been really going on all this time: Rebels vs. Empire.

For every step forward it also reminds you that it is still Star Wars, I'd say. Semantics. :)

Vader182 wrote:If folks chime in I'd really appreciate it, I'm super curious how everybody feels about...
The Last Jedi seems to push a Factory Reset to Star Wars in 1977. Think about it... In the final minutes of TLJ, the rebels are turned into a grass roots movement, and the First Order will now rule the galaxy.

We're entering Episode IX almost identically to how we enter A New Hope. The stage of the galactic conflict is nearly Rogue One era, we've got rebels that are banding together to destroy a military oppressor with unlimited power. That's partially a consequence of how Rian chose not to double down on what's unique about The Resistance and or The First Order and works with that. Instead he says "let's call a spade a spade. This is clearly The Rebels and The Empire." Rian deconstructs these things, he doesn't add to them. So as The Last Jedi comes to a close, Rebels vs Empire are deconstructed to the bare essentials of what they always were in the first place. It's like The Last Jedi goes so far forwards it accidentally went backwards.

As subversive as The Last Jed is, it seems that the state of he Galaxy hasn't been this familiar in 40 years of Star Wars.

-Vader
I agree somewhat and it scares me for how they'll try to wrap it all up in IX.

Vader182 wrote:If folks chime in I'd really appreciate it, I'm super curious how everybody feels about...

-Vader
ANH was never grassroots; there's a well-established Rebellion that even backwater hicks know about and are joining (Biggs), and "it is a period of civil war".

So IX has an opportunity to do a popular revolt, which hasn't really been done because of, well, money. We see inklings of it at the end of the ROTJ SE.

Personally I think it's more of a reset to post-ROTS which we haven't really seen, the establishment of something new.
More importantly though, Luke's act is about breaking the cycle, a non-violent resolution. It's also, notably, the first thing since the Clone Wars that characters who aren't involved in talk about (since Finn and Rey are decidedly vague on the events of the OT... I thought General MacArthur was a myth!).

Hence my comparisons to Unforgiven - TLJ may well be the first film since that to actually be about genre fatigue and asking for something better.

If you want a different plot, make the premise of IX about Hux contacting the Resistance with a proposed plan to assassinate Kylo. Then you can make the struggles of the protagonists about conflicting philosophy rather than conflicting methodology.
That might be a fertile story.

#StarWarsTheLastJedi dropped 45% from #NewYearsDay MON to non-holiday TUE with $7.9M. Last yr this week, #RogueOne fell a larger 61% from holiday MON to TUE. Global now $1.09B. After 4th wknd, domestic shd be at $575-580M & global will approach $1.25B w/ China launch.

Booyah.

m4st4 wrote:#StarWarsTheLastJedi dropped 45% from #NewYearsDay MON to non-holiday TUE with $7.9M. Last yr this week, #RogueOne fell a larger 61% from holiday MON to TUE. Global now $1.09B. After 4th wknd, domestic shd be at $575-580M & global will approach $1.25B w/ China launch.

Booyah.
It very well could end up being the 4th highest grossing film ever, when it is said and done. And that will still be called disappointing by some because they will compare it to The Force Awakens.

Well when Avatar is the highest grossing film ever, it's not a good indication of film quality.

darthnazgul wrote:Well when Avatar is the highest grossing film ever, it's not a good indication of film quality.
But Avatar is a good movie.

-Vader