Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
NFometer: 86% [↑ 1%]
Based on the Ratings of 44 Members
Average Score: (8.1/10) [↓ 0.2]

Positive

m4st4 (9.5/10)
ArmandFancypants (9.5/10)
The Taxman (9.5/10)
LelekPL (9.5/10)
Dobson (9.5/10)
Michaelf2225 (9/10)
the_red_ninja (9/10)
AhmadAli95 (9/10)
natalie (9/10)
Nomis (9/10)
Ruth (9/10)
Baniac (9/10)
JAWS_Fan17 (9/10)
Cilogy (9/10)
CoolwhipSpecial (9/10)
anepicmoviereviewer (9/10)*
Sky007 (8.7/10)
Allstar (8.7/10)
Skyab23 (8.6/10)
antovolk (8.5/10)
DoubleD (8.5/10)
07212017 (8.5/10)
Panapaok (8.5/10)
PowerDump (8.5/10)
BlairCo (8.5/10)
IWatchFilmsNotMovies (8.5/10)
Sanchez (8.5/10)
MyCocaine (8.5/10)*
Peripheral (8.2/10)*
elemunt (8/10)*
spade (8/10)
Benzilla (8/10)
Law (8/10)
Bacon (7.7/10)
Havoc1st (7.5/10)

Mixed to Positive

Pioneerr (7/10)
Batfan175 (7/10)
Biribiri (6.5/10)
Thedarknight628 (6.5/10)
shauner111 (6.5/10)
DREAMER (6/10)*

Mixed

mosh89 (6/10)

Mixed to Negative

MagnarTheGreat (4.5/10)

Negative

Tourmie (1/10)

£

Sure, TFA was a calculated bet, which paid off. They went with "move backwards to move forwards" and while that is indeed not a bad way to re-introduce people to Star Wars, it does hurt the film and imo it's place in the Saga. There simply are too many familiarities (to ANH).
However, the first act flows incredibly well. It makes perfect sense why we are with character X this moment and Y the next. The second act is a mess. The Rathtar sequence feels out of place too.
The third act does flow better, you can see that they build towards the bridge scene. The climax is great,
Han get's a memorable death and it pits Rey/Finn against Kylo Ren in the clearest way. From then on only the lightsaber battle is interesting for me. Mostly because Rey clicks with the Force and beats Kylo Ren, for now.
The more I think about TFA the lesser it becomes imo.

I think a film like TLJ should've been TFA. Yes, there are still quite some familiarities but it's being moved beyond the OT in terms of story and character development. I greatly admire that.

The amount of people actively choosing to ignore the structural and character-arc flaws that TLJ has is startling to me. Especially considering half of that selection of people were jumping at TFA's throat for its flaws.

Bacon wrote:The amount of people actively choosing to ignore the structural and character-arc flaws that TLJ has is startling to me. Especially considering half of that selection of people were jumping at TFA's throat for its flaws.
What would be an example of a flaw that is being ignored ?

anepicmoviereviewer wrote:
Bacon wrote:The amount of people actively choosing to ignore the structural and character-arc flaws that TLJ has is startling to me. Especially considering half of that selection of people were jumping at TFA's throat for its flaws.
Have you read like half the posts in this thread?

Bacon wrote:
yes

Bacon wrote:
If they were brought up in the thread, I wouldn’t call them ignored.

My bad. I meant in members of the general audience that love this.

After seeing it twice I'm going to give it a 6/10. It was a fun ride even on the 2nd time. I find it interesting my first viewing was on the Thursday Preview people were all into it cheering and clapping. I went to a Saturday and the theater was quiet. Both were packed viewings for opening weekend. ( Not that it means anything)
I thought Luke, Rey, and Kylo carried the movie for me. I liked Kylo and Reys dynamic. I thought Luke was great but wish there could have been more of him. Some of the Humor didn't land with me but I can let that slide. Leia the force angel was interesting (good or bad I don't know). Why is the Jurassic Park lady ragging on poor dumb Poe? lol Finn, Rose, and the useless tunnel of love side quest. Snoke was kind of a let down (but if this was a fake out and he returns then I think it's not so bad. We'll have to wait and see on that one.)

For me it's a strikingly similar situation to TDKR, where the flaws are absolutely relevant and ought to deconstructed and criticized (and in some ways TLJ has structural flaws that rival the prequels :o ), but they're ultimately overshadowed by the bigger picture.