Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Finally, more than solid 27.7 post Holidays Tuesday for TLJ. :clap: 3x multiplier incoming. Also passed WW today.

In general TFA is more pleasing to the average run of the mill popcorn inhaling Sci Fi geeks whereas TLJ is in general more pleasing to film fans.

Allstar wrote:In general TFA is more pleasing to the average run of the mill popcorn inhaling Sci Fi geeks whereas TLJ is in general more pleasing to film fans.
Based on what?

-Vader

I dunno if it's that simple, mainly because I think Star Wars is kind of anomalous that way.

Like, it seems like people get much more up in arms about changes to lore or character in this franchise, more than almost anything else.

Based on my observation of how the internet has reacted to TLJ, there's two groups of people who don't like it:

1. people who don't like it because of filmmaking problems
2. people who don't like it because of "Star Wars problems"

I am generally similarly indifferent to both TFA and TLJ. Neither are too bold in their creative choices (no matter what the Internet tantrums might lead you to believe), they have some good actors in Driver and Ridley and...that's it. The actors are what I enjoy in these films because the visuals are not that breathtaking and the music is just sort of bland. The less we speak of some of the dialogue the better and the stories rely too much on recreating favourite moments from the OT with a slight spin on them but that alone does not make these scenes iconic in their own right imo. At best they are slightly subversive takes on something that Lucas came up with originally but they are structured in a way that fels too similar to these original scenes for them to feel fresh.

I am eagerly awaiting a Star Wars film by Disney that has no callbacks (visually or storywise) to the originals and does not rely on nostalgia to just sort of succeed at being mediocre and being carried by people's fondness for the universe/setting as opposed to great storytelling. If you tell me that this simple thing cannot be done then the Star Wars universe is inherently limited and not worth my time.

Vader182 wrote:
Allstar wrote:In general TFA is more pleasing to the average run of the mill popcorn inhaling Sci Fi geeks whereas TLJ is in general more pleasing to film fans.
Based on what?

-Vader
Talking to people. Reading stuff.

I dunno what we'd do without you, Allstar.

Probably the same bullshit we always do, but still ...

What stuff?

TFA has a higher rating (percent and avg rating) on Rotten Tomatoes, was way, way higher on year end top-ten lists at 15 vs 24 (this is a better year for movies but that doesn't really explain TLJ being 9 full places lower), and it's noticeably lower on Reddit's r/Moves poll of about 50,000 people.

Anecdotally, reactions to TLJ are all over the map. Some friends think it's amazing, some hate it. I find myself criticizing its flaws to the former and defending its virtues to the latter.

-Vader

m4st4 wrote:Image

Finally, more than solid 27.7 post Holidays Tuesday for TLJ. :clap: 3x multiplier incoming. Also passed WW today.
lol great GIF

@Cilogy: ikr, really does seem a lot of people hate the way Rian built upon the mythology. Given the crazy fans, that takes major cojones.

No matter what, I’ve had a lot more discussions about this after seeing it in person than with TFA or RO.