Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ivan wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:RE: Throne room
One of the aspects I've been stewing on is the throne room decision by Rey. Kylo's whole vision for the future is predicated on Rey joining him - once he's rejected he, uh, behaves like he's been rejected, buuuut...

If Rey lets the Resistance be obliterated does she potentially have an opportunity to make the galaxy a better place in joint rulership with Kylo? Since Kylo wants to break the cycle of endless opposition itself? Is the perpetuation of the Resistance arguably unhealthy as it precludes the "middle way" that Kylo wants Rey to help him with?
No.
Bad guys are bad.

but then
what was Rey's future vision all about?

the_red_ninja wrote:but then
what was Rey's future vision all about?
The whole idea of that "from a certain point of view" Rey and Kylo Ren see the same future. They project their fears and biases onto that future. They mythologize and narrativize it, a known weakness of both characters coming full circle (Kylo Ren narrativizes himself as VADER whereas Rey narrativizes herself as being "SOMEONE").

Snoke, also, "from a certain point of view" sees a correct future. Everything he says about Kylo Ren is 100% accurate. Up until he's cut in half.
But to Armand's point:
I mean, that's kind of THE question, isn't it? I would argue among Rey's central characteristics is that her loneliness and trials have hardened her into a truly decent person. She has a powerful moral foundation. And in many ways, she embodies Yoda's ethic better than Luke ever did. She lives in the present, not "in the horizon," and her choices reflect what's most moral and most decent in the moment. She's more Virtue Ethics than Utilitarian. Vader is the pragmatist.

Moreover, Kylo Ren would most likely never destroy the power structure of the First Order to begin with. Rey realizes that.
Virgo- any estimates that come to mind for final WW cume? China is likely 50-100.

-Vader

Optimistically, 650 M domestic, 1,300 M worldwide.£

Master Virgo wrote:Optimistically, 650 M domestic, 1,300 M worldwide.£
I came up with the same.

If legs hold really well it'll be closer to 1.4 and if the legs are fucking exceptional, closer to 1.5.

-Vader

Wonder how the fandom feels about Johnson's involvement with the upcoming new trilogy.

7212017 wrote:Wonder how the fandom feels about Johnson's involvement with the upcoming new trilogy.
As long as the films end up being good they shouldn't care either way, really.

7212017 wrote:Wonder how the fandom feels about Johnson's involvement with the upcoming new trilogy.
The work he's doing at the minute to take it on the chin and have a mature response to it is fairly important.

Once the premise is revealed who's doing it matters much less.

Vader182 wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:Optimistically, 650 M domestic, 1,300 M worldwide.£
I came up with the same.

If legs hold really well it'll be closer to 1.4 and if the legs are fucking exceptional, closer to 1.5.

-Vader
Disney be like