Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
Jarrett wrote:I understand distancing from the OT but it almost seems careless. I don't have a problem with Luke's arc but this trilogy is set on the aftermath of the OT. I know The past needs to be distanced from and the new ones need to stand on their own but if they wanted to do something completely away from that why bring anyone back from the OT?
Because seeing characters grapple with new contexts and scenarios is more interesting.

It's like people asking why Yoda isn't a jokey mad prankster in the prequels. Because things happen to people.
Is it interesting though? They have sacrificed all the old characters for the new ones and I don't think it's been worth it for the most part . Except for maybe Kylo and Rey, they are at least somewhat interesting but the rest are useless.

Is it interesting? Oh yeah, absolutely, no matter what you think it is, at least now it’s more interesting.

m4st4 wrote:Is it interesting? Oh yeah, absolutely, no matter what you think it is, at least now it’s more interesting.
Alright.........maybe.... for Rey and Kylo.

No.
As a whole. J J has a blank slate now, what more could a filmmaker want?
We always said how VII is ANH and TLJ is ‘clearly’ ESB and IX will be ROTJ.

Now that it isn’t like that... there are two camps, and I see videos on YT saying Rian killed Star Wars and it’s the worst entry in the saga?! Lol, you know what, I’m glad he did. Out with the old (prejudices), in with the new (narratives).

Are you sure about that?

My criticism has been boring characters and forgetting the roots of what made the originals great. I'm not saying remake the OT but some themes don't change. I think those are fair complaints.

I don't hate TLJ or TFA and probably one of the few that's in the middle if you were going by YouTube or whatever.

I hope JJ takes this "fresh slate" and knocks it out of the park. He's got a of work to do though. But hey, that's just my thoughts

Why would I be saying it if I wasn’t sure it’s true?
And on the contrary, I felt like this was the most OT Star Wars since ESB/ROTJ, quirks and eastern philosophy included.
Can’t imagine Lucas writing a better Yoda in his prequel form tbh.
About the characters, DJ is basically a Marin Drzic character (or Black Adder if you like), servant who gets the best out of life and plays the role perfectly in any given time. He understands that ‘ones who go up tend to go down just as quickly’ and it works both ways.

Holdo is the perfect example of a rebel, she shows both qualities of a leader and compassion. She also gives you that BSG styled grit, in form of military hierarchy and true leadership. The only new character I didn’t like that much was Rose, worked for about five minutes at the begining before getting into formulaic storyline and ending up serving another character. And those who were either caricatures or tools (you know which ones) were that on purpose, to either lighten the material or elevate other characters.

The entirety of TLJ is about old handing over the baton, now fully, after Solo’s death, where it all began. Leia watches over Holdo who watches over Poe. Luke watches over Rey and Kylo.
...and Yoda still teaches Luke a lesson or two about The Force.
I’m not saying any of this to convert you, but to tell you that some aspects can’t be easily dissmised either.

‘Kylo and Rey are the only ones that work, end of story.’ - not as easy. All of these players are cogs in a machinery. Some are bigger, some smaller, but they all play a certain role. And back to DJ, I’d also add that he’s probably the most Rian Johnson character in this, the most radical turn you can get in seeing how all of these little stories work as a whole. It’s like giving a deathstick guy from AOTC a prominent role, and some brain to begin with. If that’s not progressive thinking I don’t know what is.

Just wait for the usual archetypes in Solo standalone and wait for the jawns to come.

Saw it for the third time yesterday (IMAX 2D) and it was brilliant. Looked and sounded great. It's an epic fun ride and I enjoyed every bit of it. Canto Bight included. Also, this comes from someone who really loved TFA.

While almost everyone here seems to be interested in analyzing the movie and dissecting everything, I'm here just enjoying the movie.

I tried to just "enjoy" the movie the first time and it didn't work

Unless you absolutely hate the movie, there's still a chance you might like it better a second time around IMO.
The first time I saw it, I was overwhelmed by it and there were few things that bothered me but there's so much greatness that made me see it a second and a third time.

I definitely plan on seeing it again but I'm waiting until it comes to one of our cheaper movie theaters. Don't really want to spend the money twice.