Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Oku
Bacon wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:Well, I mean Rogue One and Awakens divided people too, over time. This time it was just quicker.£
Nah, this is way crazier, even though it may be a better film than both of those.
Yeah, the backlash on this one is leagues bigger than the ones for The Force Awakens and Rogue One.

Don't dismiss that AngryJoeShow guy by saying, "whatever, typical Star Wars fans always crying, never satisfied", because he actually makes some great points on what could have been.

And I say that as someone who knows nothing about Star Wars lore, and knew nothing about any fan theories going in (aside from one or two big ones that I only glanced at in passing).

The fans writing off all the people like Joe who are unsatisfied with the film as "typical Star Wars fans who always complain" are as bad as the actual people who are always complaining.

NFometer: 85% [↓ 2%]
Based on the Ratings of 23 Members
Average Score: (8.2/10) [↓ 0.1]

Positive

ArmandFancypants (9.5/10)
m4st4 (9/10)
Michaelf2225 (9/10)
natalie (9/10)
Nomis (9/10)*
Ruth (9/10)
Baniac (9/10)
JAWS_Fan17 (9/10)*
elemunt (9/10)
Cilogy (9/10)
CoolwhipSpecial (9/10)
antovolk (8.5/10)
Panapaok (8.5/10)
BlairCo (8.5/10)
Sanchez (8.5/10)
spade (8/10)
Law (8/10)
Bacon (7.7/10)

Mixed to Positive

Pioneerr (7/10)*
Batfan175 (7/10)
Thedarknight628 (6.5/10)*

Mixed

mosh89 (6/10)

Mixed to Negative

MagnarTheGreat (4.5/10)

£

this is one of those things where people will hate it now because they don't like change but in 10 years it'll be regarded as one of the best of the saga by critics and fans alike.

once people digest it as a part of the canon instead of something infringing on the canon, people will come around.

I think these two comments really sum up the spectrum of reaction to the film:

@Vader: on phone so can't do a big post but you've prompted some thoughts from me on how much this film is about individuals who are not fit for purpose, an interesting inversion on the Leia quote from the original Foster novel "they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes".

Crazy Eight wrote:this is one of those things where people will hate it now because they don't like change but in 10 years it'll be regarded as one of the best of the saga by critics and fans alike.

once people digest it as a part of the canon instead of something infringing on the canon, people will come around.
damn I was hoping you did not like this.

Luke drinking milk from a breastfeeding space walrus was the most OT scene in the movie, people forgot what Star Wars was... and still is, an amalgam of spices that shouldn’t work, but very much do. And it has to be just the right amount, otherwise it becomes either jazz scene from Jabba’s palace, or Jar-Jar. Rian dances the thin red line masterfully. Look how he makes you care for the horse looking animals just before the stampedo. There’s no melodrama, only broad, albeit precise strokes.

Crazy Eight wrote:once people digest it as a part of the canon instead of something infringing on the canon, people will come around.
Are we sure of that though?

I mean, people actually suggest disregarding or even skipping Phantom Menace altogether when watching the series.

david ehrlich @davidehrlich
is it too late to recast Mark Hamill?

10th of October 2017
LOLZ.£