Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
NFometer (85%)
Based on the Ratings of 10 Members
Average Score: (8.2/10)

Positive

m4st4 (9/10)
Michaelf2225 (9/10)
natalie (9/10)
antovolk (8.5/10)
BlairCo (8.5/10)
Sanchez (8.5/10)
Cilogy (8/10)
Law (8/10)

Mixed to Positive

Batfan175 (7/10)

Mixed

mosh89 (6/10)

£

I forget (probably just my memory):
How did Rey get off Snoke's ship and get onto the Falcon?

Saw this in IMAX today. Wow, so much negativity here at NF. It's like everyone thinks it's cool to rag on everything (and I'm not just talking about Star Wars), and everyone tries to out-cool the other. Whatever. Can't ruin my enjoyment of this film. I don't give a crap what RT or any other site says about this or any other movie.

I loved this movie. Kept me riveted. I thought the acting was a step up from TFA and the character arcs better. To me, Luke stole the show. The battle scenes were off the freaking chain. This is what special effects are all about, not that cartoon-ish crap that Marvel, etc. keeps putting out.

The majority of this film takes place in space, a cool departure from all the other movies in the franchise. So many great shots, like
the Imperial Walkers lined up during the duel between Luke and Kylo, and when the Rebel cruiser slices through the Imperial cruiser.
That last one got a HUGE response from the audience.

Biggest laugh:
That little scene with Chewie and the porgs by the fire.
And when I read people ripping on John Williams...well, that's just plain sacrilegious. I noticed the music in every scene of this movie. Can't say that about the scores of most movies. And to those who say there is nothing new in this score--you're obviously deaf.

My only complaint: I needed more of the porgs. :lol:

9/10 is my rating. Looking forward to seeing it again.
Bacon wrote:I forget (probably just my memory):
They said she took Snoke's escape pod.

Baniac wrote:Saw this in IMAX today. Wow, so much negativity here at NF. It's like everyone thinks it's cool to rag on everything (and I'm not just talking about Star Wars), and everyone tries to out-cool the other. Whatever. Can't ruin my enjoyment of this film. I don't give a crap what RT or any other site says about this or any other movie.

I loved this movie. Kept me riveted. I thought the acting was a step up from TFA and the character arcs better. To me, Luke stole the show. The battle scenes were off the freaking chain. This is what special effects are all about, not that cartoon-ish crap that Marvel, etc. keeps putting out.

The majority of this film takes place in space, a cool departure from all the other movies in the franchise. So many great shots, like
the Imperial Walkers lined up during the duel between Luke and Kylo, and when the Rebel cruiser slices through the Imperial cruiser.
That last one got a HUGE response from the audience.

Biggest laugh:
That little scene with Chewie and the porgs by the fire.
And when I read people ripping on John Williams...well, that's just plain sacrilegious. I noticed the music in every scene of this movie. Can't say that about the scores of most movies. And to those who say there is nothing new in this score--you're obviously deaf.

My only complaint: I needed more of the porgs. :lol:

9/10 is my rating. Looking forward to seeing it again.

Baniac wrote:
Bacon wrote:I forget (probably just my memory):
They said she took Snoke's escape pod.
I know they explained it somehow, thanks.

Hamill is incredible in this.

And doesn't this film kind of solidify Luke Skywalker as one of the more heroic and legendary characters in modern storytelling.

And I love much the characters learn in this. Nearly every one of them is learning through failure.

Fuck dude, the more I think about this film the more I'm loving all the high points.

Fuck it, seeing it again tonight.

I’m baffled general audiences seem to hate this film. :| I get it’s not as straightforward as J.J. but still.

Allstar wrote:I’m baffled general audiences seem to hate this film. :| I get it’s not as straightforward as J.J. but still.
I'm honestly very surprised as well. Especially considering many of them are complaining about
Luke's arc which I thought was the best part.
I'm not in love with this film and I still feel has very limited progression in terms of plot and for certain characters,
(because as me and Ruth said, Rey's character doesn't progress that far and many characters/teams are where they were before by the end)
but I've seen not many fans even mention that basic flaw. They're all complaining about what I said earlier or other stuff. I hardly expected fans to go this crazy. I actually was worried I'd be the only one with the problems I had (I've seen other critics/reviewers have similar issues to me but the general public don't seem to even bring them up).

Baffling, indeed. Put me down for a 9, if you please, Master Virgo.

Matt Zoller Seitz put it in his top ten of the year.£