Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The IMDb rating rose to 8.3/10 from 15,000 users even though 5% of the voters have given it a 1/10.£

I saw it! I saw it! I have never used this word before, but I think it best describes this installment in the SW universe: Gritty.
There might be too much badassery in this yo: like errrrrr character has their super moment/s. but because it is a "war" film - I will allow it.
The space/air strike battles were amazing. Hope to see more of that on epVIII. That third act - i cried.

Would have loved to see Jyn's time with Saw (just a flash back please). I loved Whitaker's interpretation of the character - not familiar with the character but that accent is intriguing.

I had no idea Tarkin was CGI :o He looked amazing. We only got the one scene of Leia, so of course it will look weird, but I was too giddy to notice yo. The worst CGI goes to that thing that molested Riz Ahmed.

Vader gave me proper chills. Krennic was great: basically a reincarnation of Dagget. Mads was exceptional with what he had. I wouldn't say Kaytoo stole the show, but he really was clinically funny and a true rebel. Now about Chirrut (Yen) and Baze(Wen), I was unsure where they actually fit into the story initially - so I'll look out for that next time, but nonetheless they are a tremendous duo (maybe give them a spin-off yo).
Why is errrrbody so surprised by Diego Luna?

I'm seeing it again on Saturday, so my rating might change. 9/10

Master Virgo wrote:The IMDb rating rose to 8.3/10 from 15,000 users even though 5% of the voters have given it a 1/10.£
Good news. RT overall also increased but the top critics score decreased.

This movie will be interesting at least. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Saw it this afternoon

It was ok I guess. Biggest flaw being the unsympathetic characters.
Yes, they're basically all in the grey area but that doesn't mean that they can't be sympathetic characters. The only redeemable thing about Jyn is that she goes for the mission and loves her dad. That's it.
Diego Luna was terribly flat, as was his character. Yen was iffy, mostly due to dialogue. K2SO was the typical sassy droid, I liked him tho, but I hoped for something better.
It bothers me that we barely get to know the main characters. Thus so, their deaths have next to no impact.

The pacing is so fast, it takes time to get used to. The great part of the "how" of this entire film comes to fruition in the last moments. It is exciting to see them steal the plans of the Death Star but it only really gets exciting once we get really close to EpIV and ironically that is only when all the main characters of Rogue One are dead.

Best things about the film: cinematography, Mendelsohn, Darth Vader, those last moments, Mikkelsen, sort of feels like a good expanding of the Star Wars universe but also not really because it truly is a "how" film.

About CG Tarkin, I get why they did it. It would've been hard to keep him out of the story given his importance and you simply can't recast him. Cushing was terrific and there is no one who even resembles him. The CG was good for the most part, but you can see when they did reshoots, as the CG was drastically lesser in those scenes.
CG Leia was lesser, they should've used Billy Lourd, perhaps some make-up to make her look more like her mom. I would've preferred that.

I just realised that the opening scene felt sort of like the opening scene in Inglourious Basterds.

roughly an hour and a half to go

will report back

8-) 8-) 8-)

I'll probably see it this weekend. I'm pretty excited from what I've heard.

For people who have seen it, how is Riz Ahmed in this? I haven't seen a lot of reviews mentioning him but I though he was part of the main group of characters

Just got back from seeing this, it's at least as good as TFA if not better. For different reasons, but nonetheless.

Didn't disappoint in the least bit.
I think it's funny how Ben Mendelsohn played pretty much the same character in this as he did in TDKR - a weaselly dirtbag who thinks he can boss people around when he has no right to.
Last edited by Knight_White/Dark on December 15th, 2016, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ComptonTerry wrote:For people who have seen it, how is Riz Ahmed in this? I haven't seen a lot of reviews mentioning him but I though he was part of the main group of characters
He's good. Maybe not outstanding, but I think he took what he was given and made it, more or less, the best he could.