Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:Saw it again, will go for a full 9 on the Virgometer.

NB: A lot of my love for this may well stem from how well it evokes the best of the old EU (WEG, classic LucasArts, Bantam). And I don't care.

N even more B: The scoring of the Star Destroyer ramming and shield collapse is kinda great, and I really dig the return of Vader's ANH motif in that scene with Krennic. A lot.
I'm curious, what's TFA on the Virgometer?

^ LucasArts feels, hell yeah.

Bacon wrote:I cared about no one except Mads for the first half
So not caring about the characters except for one only in the first half of the movie= "on par with the worst of the prequels at times."?

Right.....

I meant in a broad sense. I had more enjoyment watching the prequels in many instances (which includes scenes often seen as laughable or bad) than I did trudging through scenes between characters I didn't care for.

So you cared about whiney Luke from the get-go? It's a journey, third act wouldn't work if you weren't with them all the way. Not to mention you and your buddy were trolling the movie along the way, you weren't in the mood to even let yourself be invested in this.

m4st4 wrote:So you cared about whiney Luke from the get-go? It's a journey, third act wouldn't work if you weren't with them all the way. Not to mention you and your buddy were trolling the movie along the way, you weren't in the mood to even let yourself be invested in this.
?

m4st4 wrote:So you cared about whiney Luke from the get-go? It's a journey, third act wouldn't work if you weren't with them all the way. Not to mention you and your buddy were trolling the movie along the way, you weren't in the mood to even let yourself be invested in this.
Bingo.

This movie is now officially a big critical, financial and audience success. I understand some are butt hurt about this because they deemed it a failure over the summer (Bacon, Nomis and NowWhereWasI) and people don't like being wrong but man this feels good.

These characters are meant to be somewhat unlikable at first as long as you end up caring by the third act they did their job. I very much did with Jyn and Cassian specifically.

Holy cow you guys are unbelievable.

Because you can't provide more evidence besides 'holy shit this is worse than/on par with the prequels?' Sure.

@Bacon go see it again please. Take mom or dad with you; maybe a fresh perspective will allow you to enjoy it.