Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:Also I liked Giachinno's score in this more than Williams in the TFA which is admittedly not glowing praise.
I kinda want to have a discussion on this, because overall you may be right, but I also agree with someone earlier who mentioned it felt kinda tacked on.

Nothing here touches Rey's theme, though.

Allstar wrote:
m4st4 wrote:Allstar could you please rank the actors/roles and say lil' something about that aspect?
Felicity, Diego, Mads (despite being brief) and Mendelsohn were the highlights.

Felicity gets three massive emotional moments I feel she really nails that adds true gravitas to the film. Mads gets one scene in particular that's one of my favorites in the film. Luna plays a very different sort of male lead in Star Wars, a very grounded sincere performance but also with a surprisingly hard edge that I did not see coming. As for a Mendelsohn, he's just always fascinating to watch, his outbursts are great but he adds a lot of subtle things.

As everyone has said Tudyk and Yen's characters are great fun and badass but acting wise they did not impress me as much. Whitaker had a unique characterization that is sure to be divisive but I really wanted more of him tbh.

I want to see it again before making final statements because I remember Boyega improved a ton for me on second viewing.

Also I liked Giachinno's score in this more than Williams in the TFA which is admittedly not glowing praise.
Thanks! :thumbup: Less than 24 hours to go.

the first 2/3rds of Rogue One feel like a montage/trailer for a longer movie

there's not, er, characters?

or people who have interior motivations

or much of a plot?

it's all super, super, super broad strokes jumping around rapidly for an hour and 20 minutes until the third act really takes off

Also:
Vader's characterization was off. They made him this oddly sassy guy who talks in long sentences, instead of ice cold speaking in short precise phrases.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:the first 2/3rds of Rogue One feel like a montage/trailer for a longer movie

there's not, er, characters?

or people who have interior motivations

or much of a plot?

it's all super, super, super broad strokes jumping around rapidly for an hour and 20 minutes until the third act really takes off

Also:
Vader's characterization was off. They made him this oddly sassy guy who talks in long sentences, instead of ice cold speaking in short precise phrases.

-Vader
so much this

Vader182 wrote:
Also:

-Vader
Yeah. And this is a stupid nitpick, but that mask chin thing that protruded bothered me way more than it should have.
My current ranking (I think):

Rogue One

Allstar wrote:
m4st4 wrote:Allstar could you please rank the actors/roles and say lil' something about that aspect?
Felicity, Diego, Mads (despite being brief) and Mendelsohn were the highlights.

Felicity gets three massive emotional moments I feel she really nails that adds true gravitas to the film. Mads gets one scene in particular that's one of my favorites in the film. Luna plays a very different sort of male lead in Star Wars, a very grounded sincere performance but also with a surprisingly hard edge that I did not see coming. As for a Mendelsohn, he's just always fascinating to watch, his outbursts are great but he adds a lot of subtle things.

As everyone has said Tudyk and Yen's characters are great fun and badass but acting wise they did not impress me as much. Whitaker had a unique characterization that is sure to be divisive but I really wanted more of him tbh.

I want to see it again before making final statements because I remember Boyega improved a ton for me on second viewing.

Also I liked Giachinno's score in this more than Williams in the TFA which is admittedly not glowing praise.
Thoughts on Riz Ahmed?

Ahmed was one of the better performers.

wasnt better than TFA

prince0gotham wrote:wasnt better than TFA
Care to elaborate on your thoughts?£

prince0gotham wrote:wasnt better than TFA
I think agree. Seeing it again tomorrow.