Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I've seen him in 'Good Morning, Vietnam', 'Last King of Scotland' and 'Panic Room' and his acting was way better in those tbh. He was also a voice actor in 'Where the Wild Things Are', which I liked so I was actually looking forward to seeing him act in this and then....yeah his acting here didn't really do anything for me, sorry.

ComptonTerry wrote:From everything I've heard I am very excited about this. I liked Edwards Godzilla a little more than most apparently did, and everybody's saying this is better. Plus just from some of the details I've read it seems right for me. Tuesday night is the night
For what it's worth I really dug Godzilla too, but thought R1 was quite worse, Godzilla breathes well and is great at its pacing and building of tension. This I thought wasn't.

-This one got Star Wars wrong in my opinion. It got the fan version of Star Wars right, it got Star Wars wrong. It was the greatest Star Wars fan film ever made. It felt and looked like a fan film. The last two minutes are fan-service ejaculation.
-Everyone's miserable, drab and depressing. There's no heart, it's just dour.
-It's a miss, not a hit, but it's going to please a lot of fat bearded guys. Even the prequels had the sense to play for a general audience
-Mike Stoklasa

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
-This one got Star Wars wrong in my opinion. It got the fan version of Star Wars right, it got Star Wars wrong. It was the greatest Star Wars fan film ever made. It felt and looked like a fan film. The last two minutes are fan-service ejaculation.
-Everyone's miserable, drab and depressing. There's no heart, it's just dour.
-It's a miss, not a hit, but it's going to please a lot of fat bearded guys. Even the prequels had the sense to play for a general audience
-Mike Stoklasa
You would post this. Thoughts on his insults to TFA?

God your butthurt is so gloriously delicious.

guys if I ever get so annoyingly defensive of something as Allstar is of this / Tillford is of westworld please PLEASE let me know, it'll be for my own good

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:guys if I ever get so annoyingly defensive of something as Allstar is of this / Tillford is of westworld please PLEASE let me know, it'll be for my own good

-Vader
What would it take to remove -Vader from your posts? Just trying to find something you'd fight for. :P

Vader182 wrote:guys if I ever get so annoyingly defensive of something as Allstar is of this / Tillford is of westworld please PLEASE let me know, it'll be for my own good

-Vader
You've done it before with TDKR. :angel:

I mean

I haven't seen this yet (saving for my 5-hour long mountain pilgrimage to the IMAX theater across the motherfucking state)

but was it really supposed to play for the general audience?

my guess at this point is that it was trying to cover 3 bases; appealing to kids, appealing to fanboys, but also trying to be this very different heist-y take on Star Wars

and it sounds like that might be the issue, no?

Cilogy wrote:I mean

I haven't seen this yet (saving for my 5-hour long mountain pilgrimage to the IMAX theater across the motherfucking state)

but was it really supposed to play for the general audience?

my guess at this point is that it was trying to cover 3 bases; appealing to kids, appealing to fanboys, but also trying to be this very different heist-y take on Star Wars

and it sounds like that might be the issue, no?
It doesn't do two of those things.

Thought this quote from GRRM's ASOIAF is pretty relevant to SAW-

“We were king’s men, knights, and heroes . . . but some knights are dark and full of terror, my lady. War makes monsters of us all.

Edwards in many ways almost reminds me of what GRRM did. Injecting this really grounded naturalness and grey area in a crazy fantasy universe.