Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ComptonTerry wrote:From everything I've heard I am very excited about this. I liked Edwards Godzilla a little more than most apparently did, and everybody's saying this is better. Plus just from some of the details I've read it seems right for me. Tuesday night is the night
If you liked Edwards Godzilla like myself you'll dig this. The lead alone is a million times more captivating:

Allstar wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:
Allstar wrote:Anyone notice Chopper's cameo? lmao

General Syndulla was mentioned. :ugeek:
I was too distracted by the other 600 pandering Star Wars references in this movie to notice.
Too distracted by masturbating to Benioff and Weiss.
Those cameos had the unfortunate side-effect of making this Star Wars universe feel smaller to me. Like, there are no other stories to tell apart from this one and we constantly need to visually reference elements of a Star Wars cartoon show that a lot of the film's audience has no connection to?

Batfan175 wrote:Those cameos had the unfortunate side-effect of making this Star Wars universe feel smaller to me. Like, there are no other stories to tell apart from this one and we constantly need to visually reference elements of a Star Wars cartoon show that a lot of the film's audience has no connection to?
The character is a Rebel. That is the Rebel base. How is that a long bow?

A: It's not. It's a fun nod.

Allstar wrote:
RIFA wrote:Way out of contrast with all the other characters that seemed grounded in reality at least.

Whitaker's character came straight out of a Mad Max movie. It was weird.
I'd argue it was appropriate since the idea of his character is he pretty much went insane. So he should be way less "grounded" than the others.
You can be insane without being cartoony like that. He was borderline comical at one point.

How was he cartoony? He portrayed the right amount of paranoia and radical that the character required. It's not like they cast Jim Carrey to play the role.

BlairCo wrote:How was he cartoony? He portrayed the right amount of paranoia and radical that the character required. It's not like they cast Jim Carrey to play the role.
Leave him be; some people cannot appreciate the greatness of STEIGER-LEVEL HAM

it is a sad apostasy but one we must live with, my children

ArmandFancypants wrote:
BlairCo wrote:How was he cartoony? He portrayed the right amount of paranoia and radical that the character required. It's not like they cast Jim Carrey to play the role.

Why do you always have to come of as pretentious/arrogant when disagreeing on something?

BlairCo managed to be polite. With you it's hardly the case.

Yeah, Whitaker was just sort of...there, overacting and all. He does some creepy torture stuff (which goes nowhere as a plot point so why did we need it?) and then we're supposed to empathise with the guy who just tortured someone once Jyn makes it there because...she cared about him as an adoptive father in the past? This bugs me on multiple levels because not only are we supposed to feel bad for a guy engaging in torture but we're once again TOLD about emotional connections we did not witness on-screen, which is just a poor way of telling a story. Then there is obviously the fact that the film seems to think that just because he has a connection with the main character that means that we'll feel anything for the guy's death...which, yeah no that did not happen because a) torture is not justifiable to me ever and b) we saw you for 5 minutes, weird guy in robo-suit, and all we know of your relationship to the main character is through dialogue.
Last edited by Batfan175 on December 19th, 2016, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

That moment when you read 'Whitaker' and 'overacting' in the same sentence.

RIFA wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:

Why do you always have to come of as pretentious/arrogant when disagreeing on something?

BlairCo managed to be polite. With you it's hardly the case.
repentance is still an option for you