Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
April 5th, 2018, 7:17 pm
and a lot of people don’t think TFA or Last Jedi is any good. Who cares? All groups are in the minority.
i feel like you care more than most considering how much you attack or focus on these minorities

Master Virgo wrote:
April 5th, 2018, 7:51 pm
@Vader: And I'm arguing, that the chunk is more sizeable for the other two.

On IMDb, 5.5% of the ratings for Awakens are 4/10 or less, for Jedi that's 13.9% and for Rogue One it's only 3.7%.

18,000 1/10s fo Awakens, 22,000 for Jedi and only 4,800 for Rogue One. It even has a lesser percentage of 1/10s compared to the big two OT films. Star Wars films have always had their loud detractors. For Rogue One it's not particularly a more extreme case.£
But that's not in disagreement with anything I said lol. Fans give TFA and TLJ shit for distinctly different reasons than Rogue One, and the criticisms commonly levied towards Rogue One are directly related to the reshoots, so they reshoots themselves are a relevant consideration in reception. That's all I'm saying.

-Vader

Gilroy further comments make it clear that he tried to just make it a Dad Movie, in which case I think the mark is pretty much hit. As he says it's not really a Star Wars movie. Comparison with the saga films has always been moot.

R1s plot beats are indeed tiresome, but I'm more into the vibe, mood, etc. The overall sweep of events that provide the dramatic backdrop that retroactively ANH feels like it lacks (plus a nice bridge for Vader from III to IV.)

BlairCo wrote:
April 5th, 2018, 7:50 pm
Rogue One is my favourite Disney-LucasFilm era Star Wars movie so far.

The Last Jedi>Rogue One>The Force Awakens
But I still prefer watching saga movies over anthology because... they’re saga movies. We’ll see what happens with Solo, yet another problematic one; in the end the final product is what matters.

This movie just went through the motions and it resulted in me not feeling anything for any of these characters ever. 'Bland and generic' is how I'd describe this movie.

It ended up being a waste of time.

As somebody who went into Rogue One with very low expectations because of the news of reshoots and some of the trailers were not doing it for me, I was completely taken by surprise how much I ended up loving the movie. I've seen it about 6 or 7 times and while I can see where a lot of the criticisms come from, majority of those criticisms do not bother me at all. There was enough character development from everybody to keep my interest afloat, and the overall look and feel was what I want future instalments to follow. Even Lucas gave his stamp of approval.

Nomis wrote:
April 6th, 2018, 5:17 am
It ended up being a waste of time.
Depends on who you’re asking. For example, can you put your and Blair’s opinion in the same basket? Not really.

Star Wars fandom has so many levels of interpretation that it’s really fascinating to see all of different angles. Why do I not care about RO these days, even though I think it’s fine, considering everything behind the camera... but I very much care about TFA just because it’s a saga movie? Does that make me an elitist, irrational, or do I just care about the jedi and Skywalkers so much that I think there’s no such thing as a Skywalker-less SW movie? I honestly don’t know.

Aesthetically, I’m with Blair, RO was on point. And the finale was properly epic. I also appreciated the grounded, gritty moments.

This film puts most of the the well praised blockbusters of 2017 to shame. A narrative with actual stakes, a strong emotional core and powerful cinematic imagery. Personally couldn't get enough of it.£