Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nice teaser trailer. Some beautiful shots in there.

Don't wanna get too excited though because Edwards let me down with Godzilla, which had good trailers too.

But Godzilla's terrific as long as you ignore ATJ.

-Vader

Sysmatic wrote:Nice teaser trailer. Some beautiful shots in there.

Don't wanna get too excited though because Edwards let me down with Godzilla, which had good trailers too.
What specifically about Godzilla let you down? I have my issues with it but I quite admire it at the same time.

The cinematography looks stunning in this.

this will be better than TFA
Last edited by Cilogy on April 7th, 2016, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allstar wrote: What specifically about Godzilla let you down? I have my issues with it but I quite admire it at the same time.
Vader182 wrote:But Godzilla's terrific as long as you ignore ATJ.

-Vader
Yeah, ATJ was a big part of that, but it's hard to ignore someone who's in front of your face for the most the movie's duration.

But I disliked most of the " human" side of the movie I guess.
Only human character that was good/relatable was Cranston's character, who got the axe too soon imo. Two thirds of the movie was just a bit of a bore for me.

Although I did enjoy the last, maybe, 30 mins? or so. I wanted suspense and angst, I felt like I got some, but too little.

Not saying that I HATED it though, just disapointed. Too much expactations from it? Maybe.

Godzilla's a complete and utter creative misfire until it lets loose in the last half-hour. Edwards, in his own words, treated Godzilla like the great white from Jaws, which entirely misunderstands how human psychology works and its relation to cinema. It borders on a visual masterpiece, but between the human characters being shit and the misunderstanding of what made Jaws fundamentally terrifying, it's kinda just a semi-memorable piece of visual splendor and little more.

Luckily, Star Wars has a proper creative team, so that could negate that kind of baffling miscalculation. Plus, as with anything, one creative misfire isn't necessarily indicative of a pattern, though it's too soon to tell with Gareth.

Godzilla's problem is the script and, having liked Monsters quite a bit, I'm not afraid this will go that direction.

The script could be a problem, but you just have to admit that directing was AAAAWESOME.