Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ugh

inb4 Allstar or someone goes 'but antovolk likes everything' but I liked it a ton, fuck this noise. Tweeted out my first reactions then looked at the reviews and I'm like wut.

Anyway it's dumb but mad fun in the way the original Independence Day or Pacific Rim were, except more earnest and it takes itself a bit more seriously, I actually thought it recaptured that ID4 spirit better than Del Toro because it didn't have that self-parody that PR had I thought. In any case, it's worth it for the monster fights alone because on a giant IMAX laser screen they were seriously incredible. Human characters and the overall storyline your mileage may vary...but really I think the best way to describe it is a very purposeful 180 from Edwards' film (almost *too much*, if the critical response is to go by), it lacks the overall finesse and groundedness but dials absolutely everything else up to 11. The neon-soaked visuals I loved, the sci-fi, almost at times Star Wars-like bent I loved, the way they go all in on the whole Monarch thing and do essentially what BvS did with using the ramifications of final act of the last film as the set up for this one, I loved. It evokes a lot of Emmerich and Bay and imo then manages to run circles around both of their post-90s work (when this makes you care about the monsters more than Bay did his Transformers...). Cast is clearly having a ton of fun here hamming it up through the seriousness and earnestness, even Watanabe.

Anyway, idk how they'll top this with Godzilla v Kong...

Honestly, anyone who makes fun of Anton for liking everything should be banned. Let the man continue to be the most wholesome member here please.

I don't want to say I told you so because I like Dougherty, but... yeah, I never really liked the trailers for this.

Allstar wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:25 pm
Edwards rises.
I'm digging your avy.

My one concern from the trailers was that it focused so much on the spectacle of the Kaiju, that it felt like it was potentially compensating for a lack of an interesting story. For me though, Godzilla is my boy, so you deliver on that colourful Kaiju action, I'll be there for sure.

Story is definitely more twisty and ultimately more fun than in the first (if messier), which is just...there after they kill off Binoche and Cranston.

First one had a story?

I was hoping for more, but I guess I'll settle for disposable popcorn entertainment.

TBH, first film had like almost less than a story, and I still loved it

so if they can at least meet that criteria I'm set