Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 1:14 pm
TBH, first film had like almost less than a story, and I still loved it

so if they can at least meet that criteria I'm set
what concerns me is a lot of the critics who hate this loved the '14 Godzilla

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 1:19 pm
Cilogy wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 1:14 pm
TBH, first film had like almost less than a story, and I still loved it

so if they can at least meet that criteria I'm set
what concerns me is a lot of the critics who hate this loved the '14 Godzilla

-Vader
I mean it makes sense why - at risk of oversimplifying it, Edwards's film tries to be 'elevated' and grounded, while this frankly drops a lot of that pretense for basically Emmerich. The below reaction exemplifies what I'm talking about:
GODZILLA 2 is what happens when you seek to make the opposite of a beautifully-controlled, almost gestural Kibuki of a modern monster movie because idiots wanted "more monster fighting". GODZILLA 2 is painfully terrible and everything the hip cognoscenti bagging on the 2014 film really wanted. Great job, asshats: you who cried and you who caved. One more just like everything else. Happy?
Then again, what's the/is there an overlap between those who hated this and dug Pacific Rim?

Pacific Rim is deliberately a cartoon serial & anime (Evangelion anyone?) brought to life, and it has a relatively solid reputation. It's not going for Emmerich at all. Again, a lot of critics--at the least the ones I usually follow or talk with--liked Godzilla '14 + Skull Island and didn't like this.

Mike Ryan being one example.

I'm seeing it Friday in IMAX, hoping it works for me as spectacle at least.

-Vader

i unapologetically loved the ‘14 Godzilla but the I didn’t expect much from this based on the trailers already

if i was ever going to see this it would’ve been for the cute as hell fat godzilla but now idk, like i’m not surprised this isn’t good lol. I feel like most people just fell for clair de lune in the trailer

Hopes and dreams for tonight? 4DX doesn’t completely suck. Better than ‘98 Emmerich version.

i can dress a cat in wooly godzilla costume and have it demolish miniature cardboard city and that would still better than emmerich version

This is even more true now than it was in 2014, but Gareth Edwards' Godzilla is the best Kaijū movie of the modern era. it takes all the best sensibilities of Spielberg and Cameron and builds magnificent tableaus of beauteous destruction. The decision to reduce the human-level narrative to relatable vignettes reacting to the mayhem might have alienated some, but it also emphasizes the grandeur and scale of the beasts and all they represent.

seeing King of the Monsters in a local (not preferred, that's going to Rocketman) Dolby tonight, hoping to at least enjoy the action.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 2:16 am
This is even more true now than it was in 2014, but Gareth Edwards' Godzilla is the best Kaijū movie of the modern era. it takes all the best sensibilities of Spielberg and Cameron and builds magnificent tableaus of beauteous destruction. The decision to reduce the human-level narrative to relatable vignettes reacting to the mayhem might have alienated some, but it also emphasizes the grandeur and scale of the beasts and all they represent.

seeing King of the Monsters in a local (not preferred, that's going to Rocketman) Dolby tonight, hoping to at least enjoy the action.

-Vader
Say what you want about Rogue One but we need another Edwards film. The guy is a heck of a talent.

Would be so awkward for them if this one flops lol

Seems like the trash movies all advertise on the same fence on PCH in Venice Beach.