Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I’m glad they seem fairly loyal to aesthetic, tone and world Edwards set up with the first film.

Cilogy wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 10:22 pm
jesus fucking christ dude

why are more people not hyped about this
i think they are

-Vader

Cilogy wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 10:22 pm
jesus fucking christ dude

why are more people not hyped about this
I am too hyped for it

I'm hyped, but what am I gonna do about it rn?

It looks awesome. Just waiting till May for now.

Ace

Ace

I think they are blowing their load too early for the second film. I mean what's there to do for the next 2 films? Sure King Kong but it's just the same premise over and over again with monsters vs monsters because this gets tiring really fast especially if you don't have a good story line or where this will lead to?

First of all, we really do know nothing about the story ao it's waaaay yo early to say it's tiring. Second of all, these movies are, more than any other, about spectacle and size. If they can show it in an interesting way, these movies will be able yo make a profit. Unfoetynately this one seems to be lacking in showing scale, judging by the trailers. The first one did a tremendous job of showing the size of Godzilla when it comes to scale. This one feels like it's just wide shots of monsters in tiny cities. It makes the visuals very clear but it also lacks the impact of the seeing Godzilla in the first one.

Godzilla films were, for the most part, about Godzilla fighting another monster. The 1954 film was different because it was a metaphor for the atom bomb destroying Japan. Shin Godzilla recently went back to this idea in that Godzilla is a stand-in for crises and how people in authority deal with them in systems that are as highly bureaucratic as they are nowadays (and not just in Japan btw). But yeah, ultimately you can make Godzilla movies that are about nothing and that's fine. People will still like them if the fights are spectacular, the monsters inventive and the effects are good enough.