Transcendence (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Transcendence wrote:I just re-watched the trailer and I don't get the negativity on here. It looks really good and from what I see, most people seem to think that it looks amazing
It's a satire being played like a cerebral existential thriller, or so the trailer suggests. That lack of cohesion puts people off, and is often interoperated as pretentiousness. The thing is, things only seem "pretentious' when they can't pull off their ideas- the motivations are the same. The delineation between pretentious and artistic genius is determined entirely by talent. If you can pull it off, you're a genius, if you can't, you're pretentious.

Plus, we should be careful tossing the word pretentious around on NF. Nolan's often accused of being a bitterly pretentious filmmaker.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Plus, we should be careful tossing the word pretentious around on NF. Nolan's often accused of being a bitterly pretentious filmmaker.

-Vader
Sure some people do but most would agree he always pulls it off. Just look at how his movies have been received critically, if I was betting man, I would say this will not be well received critically at all.
Last edited by Allstar on February 11th, 2014, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vader182 wrote:
Transcendence wrote:I just re-watched the trailer and I don't get the negativity on here. It looks really good and from what I see, most people seem to think that it looks amazing
It's a satire being played like a cerebral existential thriller, or so the trailer suggests. That lack of cohesion puts people off, and is often interoperated as pretentiousness. The thing is, things only seem "pretentious' when they can't pull off their ideas- the motivations are the same. The delineation between pretentious and artistic genius is determined entirely by talent. If you can pull it off, you're a genius, if you can't, you're pretentious.

Plus, we should be careful tossing the word pretentious around on NF. Nolan's often accused of being a bitterly pretentious filmmaker.

-Vader
thanks francis ;)

Damn! I hope this turns out to be fantastic! Judging by the trailers, it will.

Damn, you guys are ruthless.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting Inception meets TRON, but it still doesn't look confident with the style it has chosen to go with, like it's trying to be serious about this outlandish concept. Maybe once we've seen Pfister direct other films and he has established his own directing voice, we'll give this film another go.
Last edited by BlairCo on February 11th, 2014, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, I must say... these trailers haven't done anything for me. It looks on the level of Source Code at best, and I don't know... The Adjustment Bureau at absolute worst.

I'll see it, though, and certainly hope for the best.

1st trailer much better than first. :gonf:

It's kinda hilarious how people on here are so negative about it while people on other sites and bloggers are raving about it. I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:"If we don't stop him, it will be the end of mankind as we know it."

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

someone give Freeman the Oscar.
I had the same feeling.

I preferred the first trailer, because i felt like i invested in it more then the 2nd trailer. Though i have to admit i liked the last few seconds of the 2nd trailer.