Transcendence (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:kind of what I expected, I don't find the film very interesting anyway

It's Wally's foot in the door just as Insomnia was Nolan's.
Insomnia is (likely) a considerably better film, however.

-Vader

Thoughts on Cillian Murphy and Kate Mara?

Allstar wrote:Thoughts on Cillian Murphy and Kate Mara?
Not a fan of Mara at all. She was the person I meant when I said there was one case of a completely unnecessary character in the film. Could have taken her out and it would have been the same movie. She's very stiff the whole time, too. I haven't seen her in many other films, and this makes me not want to see her again.

Murphy is all right, but he gets so little screentime and is such a flat character that it's hard to judge.
Cilogy wrote:kind of what I expected, I don't find the film very interesting anyway

It's Wally's foot in the door just as Insomnia was Nolan's.

Not a terrible comparison, but as Vader said, Insomnia is a much better film. At that point in his career, Nolan already had more experience directing than Pfister does here, and I'd guess Insomnia is a bit easier of film to make because it's not as visually complex.

Transcendence shows a small bit of promise, and I'm hoping we see big things from him in the future.

How are you bitches seeing this doesn't it come out on the 18th

TehBatGetsBraked wrote:How are you bitches seeing this doesn't it come out on the 18th
I had passes to an advance screening.

Was the fact that the film was good but not great Pfister's fault for not directing it very well, or was it more the scripts fault? In other words, could you tell that this was a directorial debut?

Bacon wrote:Was the fact that the film was good but not great Pfister's fault for not directing it very well, or was it more the scripts fault? In other words, could you tell that this was a directorial debut?
I would attribute it more to the script. I was discussing it briefly with Blair earlier, and it seems as if they revised quite a bit right before or during shooting, which can explain a lot of that.

Just got back. Studio has every reason to hide this film. Broski's 7.5 is generous.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Just got back. Studio has every reason to hide this film. Broski's 7.5 is generous.

-Vader
Owch. :?

Vader182 wrote:Just got back. Studio has every reason to hide this film. Broski's 7.5 is generous.

-Vader
oh dear.

Can't say I am surprised. :lol:

Did Cillian deliver his worst performance to date?