Transcendence (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Posts: 3666
Joined: June 2009
Robin wrote:For me the trailer/film has four problems.
1. Too much exposition and focus on plot in the trailer.
2. A terribly generic score in the second half. I really hope they came up with something more than that for the actual film.
3. Very disappointing aesthetically - not even in my wildest nightmare would I expect Wally's effort to look like a real poor-man's Nolan film. And not a single exciting compositions in a big money-shot trailer.. from Wally Pfister..

Ideas and themes still excite me a lot though.
I think it's important to look beyond the cool-factor (or whatever it is) offered by money shots. They can make for great trailers, but films aren't montages. They require a sense of space, rhythm, and pace. Just take Man of Steel from this past summer. Absolutely gorgeous teaser and trailers that led up to a film that was utterly incoherent spatially. Wally has never been a man of visual excess. Everything in that trailer is well lit and composed. I think that's the most we can ask for until we see how things come together.

Edit: All that said, my expectations aren't particularly high for this. I do think it'll at least be solid, but unexceptional in most regards. The script is just kind of bland given the overall concept.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Posts: 19083
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
Nice visuals even if too similar in lighting and composition to Inception, but isn't this sort of wacky? It's a pretty cracked out premise, and it's going to be pretty difficult for me to get past it.


-Vader

Posts: 25736
Joined: June 2011
You know what I like about it? They're not franchise movies. They're not remakes. They're both standalone original films, and in this climate, they're rare enough to come by.
Image

Posts: 57
Joined: May 2013
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Vader182 wrote:Nice visuals even if too similar in lighting and composition to Inception, but isn't this sort of wacky? It's a pretty cracked out premise, and it's going to be pretty difficult for me to get past it.


-Vader
I agree man. That was the crazy thing about Inception. It had the crazy premise and the trailer made no sense at all, but the actual story somehow pulled it all together perfectly.

This premise is 'cracked out' as you say, but I don't trust that it will be put together to make coherent sense.

Posts: 2151
Joined: July 2009
Location: Norway
I didn't want visual excess or bloated action scenes, I wanted a more exciting look and a few striking images. When they throw everything they have at you, it should at least make an impression. The few shots from the Interstellar teaser had so much more life to them. Maybe I had unreasonable expectations from a visual standpoint, but this just felt sterile and came across as uninspired.

Nothing I want more then Wally to nail this, I've been waiting for Transcendence for a long time, but I can't lie to myself and say I was all that impressed with this particular trailer.

It's the kid's first movie I don't know what people were expecting.

Posts: 10510
Joined: March 2012
Location: The Rose City
Allstar wrote:
BlairCo wrote: The only weak link is Kate Mara; she can't pass for a sinister bitch. I reckon they should have got someone like Brie Larson.
Yup Mara looks atrocious. Not much acting talent in that family I am afraid. :|

lol @ numbers..... Wachowski hater.
Sarcasm...or had to take a shot at Rooney. You should still see House of Cards though, you would like her on it

Posts: 19749
Joined: June 2011
Location: The Ashes of Gotham
I'm just loving the slick look of it all; very technological and modern. I did recognize a few scenes from the script, but some have been changed quite a bit, like how Will is assassinated (In the script, he was shot during the lecture, not after it), and some of the desert settings looked different in my mind.

Posts: 4705
Joined: May 2013
Location: Inside Llewyn Davis
Is Rebecca Hall the lead in this? Because that's my impression based on the trailer.

Posts: 54466
Joined: May 2010
Location: Arrakis
prince0gotham wrote:Hollow man anyone?
Ha, yeah. The final part was like whaaaat, is he reaching out from under ground to take us all and deliver us to Mother Google?

Post Reply