Your Favorite Directors

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
LelekPL wrote:
Bacon wrote:Imagine actually thinking the Coen Brothers, Wes Anderson, and PTA are all "second-tier" directors. :facepalm:

Gimme a break.
Read the quote first. I said they're 'second tier' of ELITE directors!

They're not 'second tier' directors in general. They're WORLD-FUCKING-CLASS. But they're below Nolan, Tarantino and Fincher. These three only are first tier, since their names alone can sell a movie, you have a guarantee of critical acclaim and awards potential. Those three are basically (1a). They're like Michael Jordan among the Dream Team.

Andersons and Coens belong to that Dream Team of ELITE directors or (1b) if you will. That's what I meant by "second tier".

And then you have strong future candidates for that place like Chazelle or McQueen or (as of now) Villenueve (2)

Then you have some solid indy directors like David McKenzie or Jeff Nichols and solid studio directors like Abrams or Johnson (3) and (4)

Then you have the rest of your Snyders and Bays. And then some completely generic filmmakers... and later your Bolls and Wiseaus (5-???)
I see what you are saying and I kind of agree with you here. You aren't putting down those great directors but just saying their names don't grab the attention of the non-movie nerds like us. There's nothing wrong with what you said.

Vader182 wrote:the garbage

-Vader
You're serious?

bootsy wrote:
LelekPL wrote:
Bacon wrote:Imagine actually thinking the Coen Brothers, Wes Anderson, and PTA are all "second-tier" directors. :facepalm:

Gimme a break.
Read the quote first. I said they're 'second tier' of ELITE directors!

They're not 'second tier' directors in general. They're WORLD-FUCKING-CLASS. But they're below Nolan, Tarantino and Fincher. These three only are first tier, since their names alone can sell a movie, you have a guarantee of critical acclaim and awards potential. Those three are basically (1a). They're like Michael Jordan among the Dream Team.

Andersons and Coens belong to that Dream Team of ELITE directors or (1b) if you will. That's what I meant by "second tier".

And then you have strong future candidates for that place like Chazelle or McQueen or (as of now) Villenueve (2)

Then you have some solid indy directors like David McKenzie or Jeff Nichols and solid studio directors like Abrams or Johnson (3) and (4)

Then you have the rest of your Snyders and Bays. And then some completely generic filmmakers... and later your Bolls and Wiseaus (5-???)
I see what you are saying and I kind of agree with you here. You aren't putting down those great directors but just saying their names don't grab the attention of the non-movie nerds like us. There's nothing wrong with what you said.
Thanks. And yes, that's exactly what I meant.

wow

It's been a while since this has seen any love. Who's everyone's favorites at the moment? Have they changed over the years? I know mine have.

Well, I think Alex Garland is one to watch. I really liked Ex_Machina but them he improved himself with Annihilation which I think is a pretty faultless film. He's a talented writer and director. It's pretty cool that he's working on a TV series now. I hope either he or Boyle directs 28 Months Later if that really gets off the ground.

chris nolan

DoubleD wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 10:20 am
wow

It's been a while since this has seen any love. Who's everyone's favorites at the moment? Have they changed over the years? I know mine have.
Who are yours?

David Lynch
Coen Brothers
Stanley Kubrick
Quentin Tarantino
Alfonso Cuaron
Paul Thomas Anderson
Denis Villeneuve
Bong Joon-Ho

I love a ton of others (Scorsese, Nolan, Fincher, Lanthimos, Waititi, Johnson just on the top of my head) but these 8 really are it for me right now.

On the outside looking in: Alex Garland (Annihilation is the 2001 of our age, I have that feeling more with every viewing) and the horror trio of Ari Aster-Robert Eggers-Jordan Peele. Just need to have more work before I can put them with the others

Michaelf2225 wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 11:12 am
chris nolan
Never heard of him. Are there any movies of his you’d recommend me to watch?

Yorgos rules. He’s become one of my current favs for sure. The Favourite was my favorite of last year: