Your Favorite Directors

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Came here half-expecting Henry Cavill.

wow

It's been a while since this has seen any love. Who's everyone's favorites at the moment? Have they changed over the years? I know mine have.

Well, I think Alex Garland is one to watch. I really liked Ex_Machina but them he improved himself with Annihilation which I think is a pretty faultless film. He's a talented writer and director. It's pretty cool that he's working on a TV series now. I hope either he or Boyle directs 28 Months Later if that really gets off the ground.

chris nolan

DoubleD wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 10:20 am
wow

It's been a while since this has seen any love. Who's everyone's favorites at the moment? Have they changed over the years? I know mine have.
Who are yours?

David Lynch
Coen Brothers
Stanley Kubrick
Quentin Tarantino
Alfonso Cuaron
Paul Thomas Anderson
Denis Villeneuve
Bong Joon-Ho

I love a ton of others (Scorsese, Nolan, Fincher, Lanthimos, Waititi, Johnson just on the top of my head) but these 8 really are it for me right now.

On the outside looking in: Alex Garland (Annihilation is the 2001 of our age, I have that feeling more with every viewing) and the horror trio of Ari Aster-Robert Eggers-Jordan Peele. Just need to have more work before I can put them with the others

Michaelf2225 wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 11:12 am
chris nolan
Never heard of him. Are there any movies of his you’d recommend me to watch?

Yorgos rules. He’s become one of my current favs for sure. The Favourite was my favorite of last year:

DoubleD wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 10:20 am
wow

Spielberg and Hitchcock are my favorites of all-time. Nolan is easily the number one director now and he's closing in on those two for me. I really hope Tenet will be a return to form.

As for some other modern favorites you cannot not mention Tarantino, both Andersons, Cuaron or Fincher (if he's still making movies :P ). However these are all guys who have been doing their thing for decades now. When it comes to relative newcomers, I'm very excited for Jordan Peele, Damien Chazzelle, Gareth Evans, Steve McQueen, David Robert Mitchell, Joseph Kosinski and Taika Waititi.