Manga & Anime

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Trigger's latest, Kiznaiver, premieres next week:

I've watched all five episodes of the Ace Attorney anime so far, and I have to say it can be a mixed bag. The animation quality tends to shift from scene to scene, and the pacing is all over the place. But everything it gets right, it gets super right. I'll probably keep watching, see how they handle some of the bigger cases.

Now there's another one that I've been watching:

Yep, JoJo. Based on one of, if not the most influential manga of all time. Even in the anime you can see how much its shaped the visual language and character development of Japanese fiction. It's cheesy, unbelievably cheesy, and some of the big dramatic moments are hard to take seriously because of it. But it's still quite gripping and manages to surprise me quite a few times. And dear God, the way they integrate Yes' Roundabout:

I've already finished part 1. We'll see how this second JoJo goes.

<--to be continued

Mob Psycho 100 is only 5 episodes in and it's already reaching One Punch Man levels of greatness. Stunning animation, great comedy and action, but also a real introspection to it (not to mention a catchy as Hell opening). I can't wait to see where this goes next. Based ONE.

m4st4 wrote: Really enjoying the anime so far (4th episode), gonna jump onto Mob Psycho 100 afterwards.

If there was any doubt:

At the end of chapter 347 of Berserk I thought 'No, don't do this to us'...

Maybe you'll have a laugh. I sure did ever though I am not an avid anime watcher.

"That's a nice watch. Too bad you won't be able to tell the time after I break it. Break your face, that is."

When I last talked about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, I was in the middle of Part 2. While it may have been entertaining up until that point, I didn't truly get into it until Part 3, Stardust Crusaders. With the introduction of Stands, everything clicked. JoJo became JoJo. What was bizarre before became mild compared to the absolute absurdity that just escalates. And it continues to be an adventure.

As a concept, I love Stands. They're like a mixture of Pokemon and Mutants from X-Men, yet more creative than either one. It's made for incredible fights, trippy abilities and intriguing possibilities that just develop more and more. I could finally see why JoJo became the force that it is, and how the manga is so influential to Japanese pop culture and imagery.

And then there's Part 4, Diamond is Unbreakable. The final episode is next week on Christmas Eve but I don't want this one to end. It took a while for me to get into this Part, as it's such a drastic change in art and tone, but as of right now it's my favourite. It's an excellent blend of slice of life meeting an Eastern perspective on Stephen King-esque horror, with an incredible villain. It starts off all colourful and joyful but these last few episodes have reached Breaking Bad levels of tension for me.

JoJo has become my new addiction. I love its absurdity and over the top nature, I love its endless homages to Western music, and I love the characters. As a kid, I used to want to be a Jedi or become a wizard at Hogwarts. Now I just wanna be a Stand user. Once this season is over, I'm gonna start reading the manga from the beginning to tide myself over until Part 5 gets adapted.