Manga & Anime

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
didich wrote:
darthnazgul wrote:To be honest, I've barely watched any anime. The most I watched was Dragonball, and I'm sure that's not exactly the height of the style.
Dragon Ball is a classic. The anime industry as we know it wouldn't exist without its influence.
First Dragon Ball is a classic and Dragon Ball Z is a proud member of pop culture and lots of happy childhood/teenage memories, however I don't think it's top tier when you dig deeper, but that's understandable since japanese animated culture feels like an entire ocean once you start exploring.
Though it's important to note more recent anime has been able to explore and deconstruct tropes it (and others of its kind) first popularized or directly invented, which is clear advantage. One Piece itself, for example, wouldn't exist without Dragon Ball (and that's something Oda confirmed) and it's deconstruction of the "idiot hero"-archetype is very clearly influenced by it.

Oh absolutely, it was (one of the) first of it's kind - Oda was directly influenced by it (and vikings, respectively) so naturally, since it's new age, themes are well into post-postmodernism and deconstruction of all known manga tropes.

It's like comparing Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire, while adding the punches and powers.

didich wrote:
darthnazgul wrote:To be honest, I've barely watched any anime. The most I watched was Dragonball, and I'm sure that's not exactly the height of the style.
Dragon Ball is a classic. The anime industry as we know it wouldn't exist without its influence.
It's not exactly the Godfather or Citizen Kane of anime, that much is obvious.

darthnazgul wrote:
didich wrote:
That title goes to these two:

Dragon Ball popularized anime in the west so it's basically pop for these two rocknrolls.

m4, there are bewbs in that video. lol

And the only anime I've watched is Attack on Titan and Interstella 5555.

darthnazgul wrote:
didich wrote:
Agreed. I would say it's pretty much the A New Hope of anime, though.

Not much has been said about manga... I'm not hardore like M4 that I buy volumes, instead I read online

Here's some manga that I've read that has not been made into anime (yet)

Cage of Eden/Eden no Ori (recently just ended)
The best way to describe this is LOST but with school kids.

Veritas (was discontinued after first season :problem: )
Actually a korean manwa. Set in a high school that focuses on fighting. Lots of mention of Ki-control.

On the otherside of the spectrum, anime which is not based off manga
Probably my all time favourite: Samurai Champloo (26 episodes)

^Samurai Champloo looks like my kind of anime! Hip-hop/Edo-era Japan...whaaaaaa? :D I'll try and check it out sooner rather that later, yo!

Currently reading Water 7 arc (OP) and it's constant ups and downs of emotions, what's going oooooooon with my eyes...

Regarding recommendations ,i think this kinda covers it. Its well categorized and a good place to start. It has a little bit of everything.

http://images.wikia.com/animu-mango/ima ... melist.jpg
m4st4 wrote:
Lionheart wrote:I tend to watch One Piece from time to time. I check 80 episodes or so and then i stop. Wait a few years. Right now the last thing i saw (6 months) was the Marineford War. Shirohige was the epitome of bad ass :twothumbsup:

Manga is a little pricey to buy all collections.
Some great picks you got there, lots of stuff I haven't even heard about. I'm a relative rookie when it comes to manga/anime, but you can't have it all, with some western series, comic books, games and movies. Lately I was actually radically cutting my monthly schedule - some comprimises just had to be made.

I know about the Marineford War but currently zero details (no spoilers please), Skypiea is my place (manga) and Alabasta just started (anime).

So far, favorite three arcs: 1) Alabasta 2) Skypiea 3) Drum Island.
Skypiea to me is easily the least favorite arc of One Piece. Something just never clicked. I think everything that comes after it much better :twothumbsup:
didich wrote:I've just seen the first episodes. Personally, as of now, I like it a lot, but I've heard it goes downhill so I don't know...

Glad to see Monster on your list Vader, Naoki Urasawa is probably one of my favorite (contemporany) mangakas :thumbup:
I love Usarawa too. Monster is great all around. 20th Century Boys , the first 13 volumes is just a top top thriller. It would be an amazing hbo tv series. Master Keaton is good too , shows how much versatility he has as a storyteller. But his best work is Pluto.

It is a reinterpretation of Tezuka Astro Boy as a suspenseful murder mystery. Its breathtaking , and one of he best works ever in the genre.

Lionheart wrote:
Skypiea to me is easily the least favorite arc of One Piece. Something just never clicked. I think everything that comes after it much better :twothumbsup:
I've never been this shocked in my whole life... This little ship just drained everything out of me...

Oh my god, I want to be able to create a catharsis like that, jealous and joyous, sad and exhausted at the same time.
Lionheart wrote:I love Usarawa too. Monster is great all around. 20th Century Boys , the first 13 volumes is just a top top thriller. It would be an amazing hbo tv series. Master Keaton is good too , shows how much versatility he has as a storyteller. But his best work is Pluto.

It is a reinterpretation of Tezuka Astro Boy as a suspenseful murder mystery. Its breathtaking , and one of he best works ever in the genre.

Would you look at that art, top of the class - reminds me of early Yukito Kishiro (Battle Angel Alita).