Narcos (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
yeah good guys gon lose

Ruth wrote:
July 25th, 2018, 8:35 am
For some reason this bit of news escaped me, but apparently they’re going back to the 80s for this season. Luna is going to play Miguel Ángel Félix Gallardo of Guadalajara Cartel, the guy who pretty much controlled all drug trafficking in Mexico and the US border in the 80s. So much for me hoping he’d play a good guy :/ lol. Michael Peña is probably only going to be in for one season as he’s playing Kiki Camarena, a DEA agent, and it’s a spoiler only if you don’t go to wiki and don’t remember Season 1.
Kiki Camarena is the agent referenced at the beginning of S1 who was tortured and killed horribly while on assignment in Mexico. It was a big deal and factored in to how the US was going to deal with drug cartels further on.
So excited again.
This is going to be intense af. And I thought the violence in season 2 was quite much
remember that person being ripped apart? fuck

Y’all, just recently remembered this is coming out in a couple of days, Friday to be exact. Shame not many here watch this, but lemme drop the trailer just in case

Really hoping this is as solid as season 3, or even better

Ruth wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 7:47 pm
Shame not many here watch this
names and addresses of those idiots? :evil:

Pratham wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 11:40 pm
Ruth wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 7:47 pm
Shame not many here watch this
names and addresses of those idiots? :evil:
I mean I just assumed haha, because this isn’t very talked about on here, compared to some other shows that get way more attention. But NF in general isn’t very big on tv shows, so it’s understandable.

I feel like fewer people watch HBO's The Deuce than they do this tbh. That show is real good, too. Watching season 2 atm.

I am at E4 of the new season. Damn good, once again.

I ugh... finished binging this last night lol. So my thoughts are still all over the place, but I freaking loved it. Felt so much more different than the previous seasons. The pacing is slower, especially the very first few episodes, so if you really loved the Colombia seasons, it may take a bit to warm up (so to speak) and get used to the new setting. But I thought it did a very great job of laying the groundwork for what may come next. The show never dwells its focus on a singular character for too long, instead there’s a balanced set of very complex players, all of whom had their specific assets and glaring disadvantages. Acting wise, pretty much everybody killed it. Some fascinating characters to watch. Peña is great and he makes you feel for Camarena (and even feel frustrated both for him and at him), but Luna is top notch here. Loved the parallels between the two characters.

Ironically, with somewhat less violence, the biggest shock here becomes the... *drumroll* corruption. The sheer audacity of everyone involved, certain situations so absurd (and this season is already full of other ridiculous stuff) my jaw legit dropped. Really helped highlight the helplesness and frustrations occurring on both sides.

Spoilers (sorta) regarding Luna’s character:
What I really liked about the way Gallardo is portrayed here, is how seemingly crystal clear his motivations are. He’s unapologetically power hungry and strives for money and absolute control, but doesn’t really try to disguise any of that with that “would do anything for his family” bull. Also not a total trigger happy psycho, which, I guess, is a plus. He’s an intelligent and savvy person, morally very gray, but not a monster until the amount of incompetence around him “helped” him that way. Was hilarious to witness the number of times Gallardo has to act diplomatic to smooth out all of the fires, kinda speaks volumes of how impossible his initial goals were in the end. Wondering how much of that is historically accurate, including some of the more moronic antics of some lol.
What I also appreciated, I guess, is that the show never exploits Kiki’s murder with unecessary violence and gore. He’s shown being interrogated and tortured, but ultimately the worst bits are left out and, imo, that was the right approach. Overall the whole ordeal from the moment of his abduction, to the realization he’s dead, is pretty bleak and very sad. I caught myself watching the show at certain points and literally forgetting of what was going to happen, so I’d end up genuinely rooting for certain stuff, then I’d remember and be like “oh....well fuck”.
I’m probably missing out things I wanted to say, but anyway, this is great stuff and y’all ought to be watching it like yesterday

So...can you watch this season without watching the others? It almost seems like True Detective this season with a whole new cast. I mean they’re even calling it Mexico: Season 1.

Allstar wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 1:34 am
So...can you watch this season without watching the others? It almost seems like True Detective this season with a whole new cast. I mean they’re even calling it Mexico: Season 1.
Yes. I’d probably want to watch the previous seasons (at least S3, because it’s bomb) just for context and to see if you “vibe” with stuff like this, but aside some references made in previous seasons, this is a timeline reset and can be seen as a standalone series.