Sicario (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:Do we count him or?

Oh alright then.
We can always put an asterisk next to it.

Batfan175 wrote:This gets a 6/10 from me, mainly because of Emily Blunt, Benicio del Toro and the gorgeous cinematography. I don't buy the film's moral argument à la 'we need to be worse than the bad guy to catch the bad guy' argument, it bugs me that Blunt is the only woman in the film and yet her role is to be schooled by all the men in the film and it's a generic and unecessarily contrived film about the drug war and it feels to me that it's constantly rationalizing how the drug war is being tackled and apparently if you believe in the rule of law you're naive and idiotic and need to wake up 'cause this is the real world, yo', which is just bah....but it's well acted and it looks nice.
Hahhahaha we all knew this would come

Michaelf2225 wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:This gets a 6/10 from me, mainly because of Emily Blunt, Benicio del Toro and the gorgeous cinematography. I don't buy the film's moral argument à la 'we need to be worse than the bad guy to catch the bad guy' argument, it bugs me that Blunt is the only woman in the film and yet her role is to be schooled by all the men in the film and it's a generic and unecessarily contrived film about the drug war and it feels to me that it's constantly rationalizing how the drug war is being tackled and apparently if you believe in the rule of law you're naive and idiotic and need to wake up 'cause this is the real world, yo', which is just bah....but it's well acted and it looks nice.
So... you're giving a film a 6/10 because you personally don't agree with the theme.

Nice.

I guess I might as well give every movie with a pessimistic view on life a bad review because I try to be an optimistic person.
Oh it's a well-made movie but rather like Zero Dark Thirty I prefer to express how the film's message came across to me and that alone wouldn't be such a big issue....if it wasn't exactly what I expected to get from the film. Its predictability was its biggest flaw for me despite it being contrived. I also don't think this is a film I ever need to revisit because its ideas and themes are not that deep or nuanced. I can live with a morally questionable piece of art and I'll give it praise for doing things right (the acting, the soundtrack, cinematography, etc.) but if you asked me whether I enjoyed it or not (which is something that I DO factor into my grading), then I have to say it left me rather cold and did not make me want to rewatch it.

Batfan175 wrote:
Michaelf2225 wrote: So... you're giving a film a 6/10 because you personally don't agree with the theme.

Nice.

I guess I might as well give every movie with a pessimistic view on life a bad review because I try to be an optimistic person.
Oh it's a well-made movie but rather like Zero Dark Thirty I prefer to express how the film's message came across to me and that alone wouldn't be such a big issue....if it wasn't exactly what I expected to get from the film. Its predictability was its biggest flaw for me despite it being contrived. I also don't think this is a film I ever need to revisit because its ideas and themes are not that deep or nuanced. I can live with a morally questionable piece of art and I'll give it praise for doing things right (the acting, the soundtrack, cinematography, etc.) but if you asked me whether I enjoyed it or not (which is something that I DO factor into my grading), then I have to say it left me rather cold and did not make me want to rewatch it.
That's all fine and reasonable.

But your review basically talks about how you don't buy the theme of the movie and the little real criticism you give doesn't have very much weight to it. You said that Blunt's character constantly gets schooled by the men... which is kind of the point. I mean, besides the
kind of rape scene
it's pretty much irrelevant that she is a woman, which is why she is such a strongly written character in my opinion. The reason she constantly gets schooled by the men is actually because of the theme.
This is the land of wolves now.

11072014 wrote:I haven't seen this yet.

I'd respect your opinion if you weren't just completely wrong.

8.5/10. Not Villeneuve's best but still pretty dope.

Addicted2Movies wrote:
I'd respect your opinion if you weren't just completely wrong.

dealwithit wrote:8.5/10. Not Villeneuve's best but still pretty dope.
I think it's his best. At least it's better than Enemy.

ChristNolan wrote:At least it's better than Enemy.
Easily.