Batman: Arkham Knight (PC/PS4/XB1)

A place to discuss music and video games.
Red Hood wrote:
Havoc1st wrote:Fuck, i'm still waiting for a good price to buy this along with a current gen console.
Save your money.
Relax.

Red Hood wrote:
Havoc1st wrote:Fuck, i'm still waiting for a good price to buy this along with a current gen console.
Save your money.
I am.

Havoc1st wrote:
Red Hood wrote:
Save your money.
I am.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Several hours in, here are my impressions;

Gameplay wise, it's solid. The combat feels great, predator stuff feels great, and the Batmobile is fun to drive around with, for the most part. There's a couple control changes that take some getting used to, I'm not huge on the gadget select wheel as opposed to having them mapped to the D-pad. The Batmobile can also be a bit of a brick on the road, and the frame rate drops whenever things get really chaotic with the destruction.

Story wise, it's not great. But it's not necessarily bad either. Honestly, the Arkham games have never been the height of storytelling in games, so to have a story that's not bad doesn't feel that jarring. There are times where the dialogue isn't as charismatic as the other games as well, although the mostly stellar voice work makes up for it. Honestly though, I'm not impressed with Jonathon Banks so far. He doesn't quite click as Gordon.

So far, this feels like a Mass Effect 3 situation. It's not the best in the series, and there are certain aspects of how the game is handled that leave a sour taste in player's mouths. But if you can get past that, it's still a good game. It's still Batman.

Do you think it's better or worse than Origins so far?

For me, that was the low point in the series.

Michaelf2225 wrote:Do you think it's better or worse than Origins so far?

Better. It definitely introduces more and has far higher production values, but at the same time incorporates some of the cool ideas from Origins, such as the crime scene reconstruction.

darthnazgul wrote:

Better. It definitely introduces more and has far higher production values, but at the same time incorporates some of the cool ideas from Origins, such as the crime scene reconstruction.
Coooooooooooooool

I haven't played Origins but Origins is probably better.

I don't feel like Origins is the weakest in the series. It has a good story, polished mechanics, refined combat, refined boss encounters, enhanced graphics, good pace, better puzzles, and overall it's just more challenging. Innovative? No. But it's a hell of an iteration. Simply put it's just a solid game.

My feelings for Origins are very similar with my relationship with BioShock 2. I mean the first BioShock is to me the worst in the series if you put all 3 side by side. However, BioShock means so much more so the second one feels without a home. It's kind of the same with Origins. A great game that's shadowed by the importance of the first one. And, just like in the case of BioShock, Batman: Arkham Asylum is pretty much the worst game in the series.

With all that said, all of the first 3 Arkham games are incredibly well made. They have yet to make a bad game... With all the flaws and shitstorm that AK has been receiving lately, it's hard for me to believe that the game is bad.

RIFA wrote:I don't feel like Origins is the weakest in the series. It has a good story, polished mechanics, refined combat, refined boss encounters, enhanced graphics, good pace, better puzzles, and overall it's just more challenging. Innovative? No. But it's a hell of an iteration. Simply put it's just a solid game.
While I agree with some of your points, I have to disagree with several of them. The combat isn't refined, it's sluggish and buggy with the delayed input. The puzzles aren't better, they're more simple. And aside from Deathstroke and Bane, the boss encounters are underwhelming. And the challenge largely comes not from its design but from its lack of polish.