The Visit (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Erik wrote: Rohan, with no disrespect: cut the complaining about Marvel films.
It is hard to say what movies are good and what movies are bad because it is a matter of opinion. However, when you ask a large group of people, you can turn opinions into facts. Let's take IMDB for this.
I know that IMDB is not really that accurate (I believe Shyamalans films are rated lower, just because of his reputation), but it still clearly shows the difference of the latest M. Night films and those from Marvel. The Avengers has an 8.2 on IMDB (based on 629k votes), The Happening a 5.1 (based on 135k votes). IMDB might be a little off, but not 3.1 points. Therefore, scientificly spoken it is fact that The Avengers is the better film. It's your opinion that is the other way around.

I concider myself a huge Shyamalan fan and I have seen only one Marvel film: Iron Man. I'd actually choose that one over The Happening.
Erik, I think my previous comment is conveying what's right to think and like I said, if one decides to decode what a film like The Happening stands for, it is in fact, in some ways better than any Marvel picture. - The reason I brought up Marvel films as they are getting tons of attention with majority of audiences giving it a zero artistic analysis. That's because artistic vision does not in them exist or those folks are just there for the sake of getting entertained by what those films by Marvel present on the screen.

Now, there is nothing wrong with entertainment, especially when it comes to getting entertained. And I understand, I say this respectfully, that those comic characters has a huge fan following. And some of us, maybe more than some here at NF forums, are fans of the comics. - The Happening and films like Iron Man or you know, The Avengers are not even in the same genre, I know. I decided to mention the titles, not to disrespect the people behind those films or the fans, it's just a fact that if you compare the plot and subtext of The Happening it is a lot more meaningful than The Avengers, right? - We say that The Happening is this and that, you know, makes no sense, acting is terrible, the whole films sucks,. Then let's be honest with what we are all truly seeing in The Avengers as well. - It's atrocious when it comes to acting, dialogues, action sequences, and even at times, in VFX. - Hey, but, for the sake of entertainment, I own the film on blu-ray. But it doesn't mean I don't own The Happening. I give Night's film (The Happening) closer attention, because artistically, for me, it just makes more sense The Avengers and Iron Man Films.

I am not saying that you guys, no matter what, must like The Happening just because The Avengers is getting tons of positive attention. No. Not at all. We're all entitled to our opinions and I have said this before that opinions must be respected. - This whole thing began, when a member said that Shyamalan needs one decent flick. - Now, that's condescending. Purely snobbish the way the sentence was put together. This doesn't have to be really about Shyamalan. It can be about any director out there. What I am trying to say is that since we are talking about Shyamalan, and 'decent flick', - his Unbreakable, in my book, is on top of the list when it comes to superhero films. I think Unbreakable is utterly original and forever it will remain a masterpiece. I love, I adore, and I cherish Chris Nolan's The Dark Knight. But, Unbreakable, since it's the mother of all superhero films, is on top of my list. Then comes The Dark Knight, which is the second title in my list. And, yes, Unbreakable, David Dunn, is far more convincing superhero, if ask me, than Superman. His character the way it's written by Shyamalan is just too damn good and down to earth. That's my opinion, people. - Hey, Unbreakable, even it was a film by Kevin Smith or McG, yes, it would still be on top of list.

Ignore my typos if there are any. It's just because I'm in hurry and have to get few things done. :)

Erik wrote:
Pratham wrote:I think that Erik means the word 'science' in the different context here. Not like the physics or chemistry.
Yes, and I sense that I need to explain my previous statement.

I study Mechanical Engineering, which is a form of Science. During my study, I've learned to make lists of 'demands and wishes'. At the end of the Engineering proces, you have to test your product on this demands and wishes. The test result should be either 'Yes' or 'No' and nothing in between. Meaning that it is a fact.
For instance, let's say you're designing a new mp3 player (no one really uses them anymore, but anyway). Your bosses give you the demand that it plays for at least 10 hours before the battery runs out. At the end you test it and if it runs for 10 hours or more, it's a 'Yes'.

However, you can also put a 'beautiful design' in as a demand. How nice a design looks is an opinion. However, you can test it. Ask a random 1000 people what they think of the disign. If a significant mayority of the people like it, the demand can be answered with a 'Yes'.

So basically, when you do scientific research and you want to know if The Avengers is a good film? Ask 629k people what they think about it and they rate it with an average of 8.2, it's basically fact.
I hate this vid but

Wait, we're still not using IMDB to determine films that are good and are not? There is no fact there, the only fact is that "people like it" -- it's quite divorced from the quality of the film. It's "art" - you get to determine whether it's good or not.

ArmandFancypants wrote:Wait, we're still not using IMDB to determine films that are good and are not? There is no fact there, the only fact is that "people like it" -- it's quite divorced from the quality of the film. It's "art" - you get to determine whether it's good or not.
Actually objectively Vader gets to determine that. And the UIC campus.

ArmandFancypants wrote:Wait, we're still not using IMDB to determine films that are good and are not? There is no fact there, the only fact is that "people like it" -- it's quite divorced from the quality of the film. It's "art" - you get to determine whether it's good or not.
I hate you for describing something better than I would have.

Crazy Eight wrote:
Actually objectively Vader gets to determine that. And the UIC campus.

cam ann people we've been over this, art has no rules to obey or disobey so there is simply no criteria with which to judge
Last edited by Disney+'s solo2001 on March 2nd, 2014, 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:cam ann people we've been over this, art has no rules to obey or disobey so there is simply no criteria with which to judge
The Happening is a cinematic masterpiece.

ChristNolan wrote:
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:cam ann people we've been over this, art has no rules to obey or disobey so there is simply no criteria with which to judge
The Happening is a cinematic masterpiece.
was gonna edit my post to say objective criteria